No injuries in apartment fire

Kyle Roerink

KYLE ROERINK | DAILY KENT STATER Firefighters clear out the bottom-floor apartment at 999 Silver Meadows Blvd. after a fire destroyed the kitchen. The fire started because a lighted stovetop was left unattended.

Credit: DKS Editors

No one was injured in a fire that broke out on Silver Meadows Drive around 4:30 today. The fire started in one unit of a two-story apartment when the resident left food cooking on a stovetop. The flames spread throughout the kitchen before the firefighters arrived.

Arriaes Reger, a resident on Silver Meadows Drive, said he saw flames coming out of the roof and windows of the apartment on his way to the store.

There is smoke damage to the bottom and top apartments, and firefighters had to rip off siding on each unit because of damage from the flames.

The Kent, Stow and Ravenna fire departments responded to the call. They extinguished the fire within a couple of minutes, said Captain Dave Manthey of the Kent Fire Department.

“All the fire departments started coming from different ways,” he said, “and they busted right in and took care of it.”

-Kyle Roerink