Graduate Student Senate to hold 24th annual

Melissa Dilley

Graduate Student Senate is holding its 24th annual colloquium to present research and inform current and prospective students about events and opportunities within the university.

The colloquium, which will be held in the Student Center, begins at 8:30 a.m. and will run until 7 p.m.

The event focuses on speakers who will give advice on writing grant proposals, applying for patents and entrepreneurship.

After lunch, graduate students will present projects they have been working on in their fields.

In addition to various presenters throughout the day, the keynote speaker will be Catherine Asaro, Ph.D., a science fiction writer and former physics professor.

Colloquium chair Sarah Hicks said she thinks the event will be beneficial to all graduate students, even those who are simply thinking about continuing their education at Kent State.

“Some of the people who will benefit most are those who are going to become professors,” she said. “But everyone needs to have knowledge of what’s going on in the university, not just in their department.”

Hicks also said students often come to the event and learn about a topic that sparks an interest that they would like to pursue further.

Hicks invites all faculty, friends and family to the banquet and awards ceremony, where Asaro will be speaking.

-Melissa Dilley