New Web site aims to helps students and businesses

Megan Moore

A recent alum and a current Kent State student have teamed up to create a Web site launching Monday that caters to the needs of students.

The Web site, www.kentcampuscash.com, will include printable coupons from local businesses, menus from neighboring restaurants and a list of activities happening in town or on campus, said founder Shawn Kaplan.

“It is made by Kent State students for Kent State students,” Kaplan said

Kaplan, an advertising major who graduated in May, and co-founder Tony Paternite, computer information systems major, saw a need for a portal like this to benefit students and local businesses.

“I’ve spent time working with other local advertising companies and found that local businesses weren’t receiving the results they should for the price they’re paying,” Kaplan said. “So, I came up with this idea to not only let the students see what is around the community, but also have a medium where local businesses can present themselves to the students.”

Kaplan said they want to make the site interactive and user-friendly. They want students to realize the e-mails are beneficial to them – not spam mail.

“Our main goal is to have a one-stop-shop for students on campus,” he said.

Kaplan said they hope to get at least 50 to 75 businesses to advertise on their site. A few of the nearby businesses that are already participating include Campus Book and Supply, Kent Lanes-11th frame, Pulp Juice and Smoothie Bar and Taco Tontos.

So far, Kaplan said they have been receiving positive feedback from Kent businesses.

Kaplan said Kent Campus Cash will e-mail all students the first and third Monday of each month with updates and discounts. Students do not need to sign up for the e-mails. Even so, students or community members can still visit the Web site to register or see other offers available on the site.

Kent Campus Cash will only advertise for companies that are of use to college students.

Dean Kline, manager of Campus Book and Supply, is finding the site helpful for reaching students at Kent State.

“It’s just another way of reaching students and getting our name out there,” he said. “It’s another way to provide students with special prices.”

Campus Book and Supply is currently offering a 20 percent discount on Kent State merchandise and a 25 percent discount on Kent State apparel.

Kaplan said that he wants this site to be a place where visitors do not have to worry about the clutter of flyers and coupons. He said that the site is “a go-green approach to advertising.”

In addition, Kaplan said Kent Campus Cash will offer promotions on the site for any student organizations or bands that want to get their information out there.

“We’ll do our best to promote student activities on campus as well as promoting positive organizations, events and group functions,” he said. “We want to support the students the best we can.”

Campus Cash

– Kent Campus Cash offers discounts and information to students and

community members.

– The Web site, www.kentcampuscash.com, launches Monday.

Student organizations can contact Kaplan at [email protected].

Contact news correspondent Megan Moore at [email protected].