Rock The Runway

Lauren Carll

When people attend fashion shows, they usually “ooh” and “ahh” at their favorite pieces, admire the tremendously teased tresses and matte makeup and discuss whether the design is something they would actually wear in public. However, most people do not know the countless hours designers spend picking out fabrics, debating color choice and fixing hem lines. These five designers who participated in

last night’s Rock the Runway took a time out from the needles and neck aches to share the details about their collection and future aspirations.

Christina Catherine Shelton

Sophomore fashion design major

Why did you choose to do Rock the Runway?

“I always like to take chances to design in fashion shows,” Shelton said. “I did it last year, and my designs were a little punk rock.”

What does your collection look like?

“My line is called ‘Corset Quartet,'” she said. “There are two dress-like corsets and two corsets worn with skirts. They are dark, ugly and weird colors, but it’ll look rock.”

Did you have any specific inspiration for your collection?

“I like classic things, but with a twist,” she said. “I’m inspired by artistic things that are a little punk, but my collection this year will be a little more refined than last year’s.”

Future plans:

Shelton said she plans on working for a fashion company after she graduates, but she hopes to have her own line some day.

Bethany Clark

Freshman fashion design major

Clark said she is working with two other designers to make garments for the show.

“I really wanted to work with my two friends,” she said. “It’s been really fun designing a line with them.”

What does your collection look like?

“Our collection is really bright and crazy,” Clark said. “It’s a lot of fun dresses. We have a hooded dress, and we also have a feathered skirt.”

“Our line is called ‘Bright Noise,'” she said. “I’d describe it as bright, noisy, surprising and fun with lots of shiny things.”

Future plans:

Clark said she would like to one day work in a smaller fashion business where she can be creative and show her personality.

Kori C. Fields

Sophomore fashion merchandising major

Fields said she modeled in the show last year, and, because she likes to design clothes, she thought she would be a designer this year.

What does your collection look like?

“My collection is really girly,” Fields said. “It has a lot of prints and colors, 3D bubbles and unique shapes.”

“I just got inspired once I saw the fabric,” she said. “I am always inspired by color and pattern.”

Future plans:

Although Fields is a fashion merchandising major, she also enjoys designing. She said she hopes to go to design school after graduation.

Kim Rigby

Freshman fashion design major with sophomore standing

“I did it last year with a friend and I loved it,” Rigby said. “It is a lot of hard work, but I think it really pays off in the end.”

What does your collection look like?

“There are three dresses and a bathing suit, and I used olive green, black and cream with silver accents,” she said. “I describe the line as sweet and sexy with a twist. It’s feminine, but a little bit hard, too.”

“It’s very rock ‘n’ roll inspired,” she said. “I think seeing the colors together really inspired me.”

Future plans:

Rigby said she would love to work at a large firm in New York City, and one day, she would love to own her own boutique.