The State of the University

Kiera Manion-Fischer

Faculty, administrators respond to Lefton’s speech

Click here to listen to part of Lefton’s address.

Click here for video of the State of the University.

Inspirational was a word many administrators, faculty and staff used to describe President Lester Lefton’s address.

Lefton mentioned theater professor Terri Kent as an example of a professor who brings “excellence to every classroom.”

“I thought the goals were very clear,” Kent said. “And I think we’re poised to move forward.”

John Crawford, associate dean of the College of the Arts, said he liked how Lefton emphasized making “every student a success story at Kent State.”

“That’s what we’re here for,” he said. “Improving the quality of life through education.”

Diedre Badejo, associate dean of curriculum for the College of Arts and Sciences, appreciated how Lefton talked about the importance of faculty, staff and students.

She was also interested in Lefton’s mentions of interdisciplinary programs and LER review.

“The faculty are going to have to lead that,” she said. “Faculty are the ones who produce the curriculum.”

Psychology professor E. Thomas Dowd said Lefton has given faculty a challenge to be better.

He said he was biased because he was part of Lefton’s search committee.

“He’s got a great sense of vision,” Dowd said. “He wants to put us among the very great, which is going to be a daunting task.”

Daniel Finotello, associate dean of research and graduate studies, said Lefton recognizes faculty’s work.

“Even though we don’t have engineering, even though we don’t have a medical school, we are recognized as one of the top research institutions, which is a reflection of how hard the faculty are working to make Kent State reach that level,” he said.

Contact academics reporter Kiera Manion-Fischer at [email protected].

Read the PDF here