Spring 2020 commencement will be hosted virtually due to state guidelines

Kent State University announced that the spring 2020 commencement will be virtual in accordance with Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine’s order to avoid large gatherings due to COVID-19.

Students, faculty, staff, parents and friends will be invited to watch the virtual ceremony on Saturday, May 9 at 11 a.m. via www.kent.edu/commencement. 

This virtual commencement will not replace in-person commencement; all students who graduate this semester will be invited back to campus for commencement when it is deemed safe. 

In addition to hosting a virtual ceremony, Kent State will also host the College of Podiatric Medicine, Karamu Ya Wahitimu/Celebración de los Graduados and Lavender Graduation virtually.

Students should login to FlashLine to RSVP for the ceremony by April 16 and will receive a commencement package containing a program, mortar board, tassel, alumni pin, diploma cover, honors cords for eligible graduates and hoods for doctoral graduates. The package will be sent to the permanent mailing address listed on FlashLine.

The email states, “We all look forward to when we can come together and recognize you in person. Until then, we encourage you, along with your family and friends, to participate in the virtual ceremony.” 

During the ceremony, Kent State President Todd Diacon, Interim Senior Vice President and Provost Melody Tankersley and college and campus deans will all speak. All students will receive individual name recognition.

Information about ceremony participation, diploma mailings and more can be found by visiting www.kent.edu/commencement.

Contact Sara Crawford at [email protected]. Contact Madison MacArthur at [email protected].