University to cover AV rentals

Kali Price

Student organizations will no longer have to worry about some of the costs of putting on programs.

The office of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs will be taking care of the bill for student organizations’ use of audio-visual equipment at the Kent Student Center, said Ross Miltner, Undergraduate Student Senate executive director, at USS’ public meeting yesterday afternoon.

Miltner said he met with Pete Goldsmith, vice president for EMSA and Goldsmith announced his department’s decision to front the costs for the remainder of this semester. Next semester, the department will figure out how to use funds to cover the bills.

The issue was brought up during the Spring 2006 semester. Student organizations were being charged to use the audio-visual equipment even though tuition dollars go toward Student Center upkeep.

“The good news is student organizations have won,” Miltner said.

USS held the meeting yesterday because the university is closed Wednesday afternoon and last week’s meeting was canceled.

The senate also discussed its meeting with President Lester Lefton Thursday and Miltner’s meeting with him.

Miltner said Lefton’s proposed changes to commencement ceremonies are nearly finalized and will most likely take place next semester.

The new ceremony would include one mass graduation for all colleges in the spring semester. Commencement will eliminate December and August ceremonies, but Miltner said Lefton is considering holding a smaller ceremony in December.

In USS’ meeting with Lefton, it discussed proposed changes to the freshman forgiveness policy, higher education funding, the renaming of the Kiva and the potential May 4 visitors center.

“(Renaming the Kiva) was an issue that he had for us to talk about,” Miltner said. “The renaming of the Kiva came up last year. It’s found its way to his desk.”

Also at the meeting, USS discussed Statehouse Day, a one day seminar promoting dialogue between Ohio congressmen and college students. Miltner attended the event along with Justin Jeffery, senator for community affairs and Amy Groya, senator for governmental affairs.

“Statehouse day went really well,” Jeffery said. “The Statehouse itself was a very beautiful building … It was a great day. We met some really cool people from other universities.”

Jeffery said the senators also met with members of the Ohio State Senate and the Ohio House of Representatives.

USS also voted to approve the contract for the Kent State Credit Union merger with the Kent Credit Union. The contract was approved unanimously by all of the senators present.

Contact student politics reporter Kali Price at [email protected].