JMC to welcome public relations professor in fall

Amber Gallihar

Jeanette Drake is bringing 21 years of experience in non-profit and corporate public relations to Kent State this fall.

Drake will be teaching a course in public relations at the recently added graduate level and one at the undergraduate level in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication.

“Kent State has chosen the right time to launch a master’s program in public relations. Demand for graduate education in public relations is at an all-time high,” Drake said.

Drake said the opportunity to help start a master’s program was what made Kent State appealing enough to draw her eight-year stay at the University of Findlay to a close.

Drake earned her B.A. in social and behavioral science and a Master’s degree in journalism and public relations from the Ohio State University. She went on to earn a Ph.D. in communication studies from Bowling Green State University.

Prior to her career as an educator, Drake directed marketing and public relations for various organizations in Columbus, including the YMCA of central Ohio.

Drake has been a member of the Public Relations Society of America since 1998 and earned accreditation in the field in 2000.

Before moving to the Akron area, Drake served as president of the Northwest Ohio Chapter of the Public Relations Society of America.

At the University of Findlay, Drake generated a public relations program and also formed the school’s first Public Relations Student Society of America chapter.

Drake is bringing significant professional experience along with incredibly high energy to the public relations program, said Bill Sledzik, associate public relations professor.

“I hope to bring innovative thinking that will continue to distinguish Kent State’s PR program at the graduate level, and I’m looking forward to working with such a talented group of faculty,” Drake said.

“At Kent State, master’s students will have the opportunity to learn from a cadre of professionals with outstanding credentials. Playing no small role in this new program will be the impressive legion of Kent alumni,” Drake added to her colleagues in written thoughts about the program.

Contact Communication and Information reporter Amber Gallihar at [email protected].