Student Multimedia Studio provides students work space, equipment

Sara Huebner

As the use of technology in the classroom rises, the Student Multimedia Studio on the first floor of the library has created a workstation to accommodate the increasing number of students who have laptops.

A university-wide plan is underway to require all students entering Kent State to own a laptop computer, and this plan will have a significant impact on the way students work and learn, said Gary Mote, Student Multimedia Studio manager and adjunct professor.

The recently developed workstation includes a scanner for scanning documents and photographs, a mini-DV/VHS combination video recorder and television monitor for capturing video.

An optical mouse, free drivers and software are also available. The station includes software to enable students to print wirelessly to each of the library’s information commons black-and-white and color printers.

“Students using the equipment in the laptop area receive the same high level of support from the SMS Multimedia Consultants as students using the SMS equipment and software on the desktop computers,” Mote said.

The SMS has other equipment and software to assist students with their course projects. Mote said students are able to do the following:

• Scan photographs, slides or film, then use them in PowerPoint and video presentations or start an archive of work for an e-Portfolio that may help land a job after graduation.

• Edit images or create animations using Photoshop, Image Ready or 3DS Max.

• Create a PowerPoint or Web presentation, then burn it to a CD-R or upload it to the Web.

• Record a CD, VCD or DVD of data, video, audio or an entire presentation.

• Capture and edit digital video, record your voice or create original music in a private editing room. Add titles, effects, music and sound effects to the video, then output the finished production to videotape, stream it over the Web, insert it into a PowerPoint presentation or create a DVD.

• Get one-on-one help from one of the Multimedia Consultants. Consultants are available to show students how to use the SMS equipment or provide basic software instruction.

When the 2004-2005 school year started, Mote said he saw students coming into the lab and having a lot of problems with projects professors were giving them.

Professors asked Mote to come in and explain how to do the projects given to the students.

“The best thing to do is to get in the classroom and have a one-on-one with faculty,” Mote said. “But in most cases, I’m invited to go into the classroom, and I demonstrate, or students come here to the library for help.”

Nathan Gibson, sophomore exploratory major, said he recently used the area for the first time.

“It’s a pretty decent layout,” Gibson said.

He had one problem, however.

“I’m more familiar with working with Apple computers than with Dell,” Gibson said.

His project, a music mix for a talent show sponsored by The Dive, required him to ask for help from an SMS consultant.

Mote said he works in the SMS to help students. “I will work with faculty, but they have their own space to work,” Mote said. “I am here to help their students.”

Contact libraries and information reporter Sara Huebner at [email protected].