Run for yourself, race for lives

Ryan Haidet

Sarah Hallsky, graduate assistant in health education and promotion, helps Ezugo Offodile, graduate student in informational technology, register for Race for the Cure. The event will take place Oct. 8 at Voinovich Park in Cleveland.

Credit: Steve Schirra

Lace up those running shoes and make Oct. 8 a day for a real race that could help save lives.

The annual Race for the Cure is encouraging students and staff from the university to register and participate in their event that will take place at Voinovich Park in Cleveland from 7:30 a.m. to noon.

The cost to register is $20. According to the Ohio Race for the Cure Web site, 75 percent of the proceeds will help fund breast cancer research and health programs in Northeast Ohio. The remaining 25 percent will go to help fund the Komen National Grant Program.

“Race for the Cure, much like Relay for Life, serves the important task of supporting and funding many privately funded research organizations,” said senior nursing major Paul McMullen. “It is because of these organizations that so called ‘medical breakthroughs’ occur, which result in many lives saved.”

“I think it’s a good thing for students to do, especially since the semester just started,” said Sarah Hallsky, graduate assistant at the DeWeese Health Center.

Anybody that registers through the health or women’s resource center will be a member of Team Kent, Hallsky said. Other groups or campus organizations are allowed to form their own small teams to join Team Kent. The three teams with the largest amount of participants will receive a prize.

The organizers of the event would like to surpass last year’s number of racers involved with Team Kent by 100, Hallsky said.

“Last year we had about 150 students and staff participate in the event,” Hallsky said. “This year, I am hoping that we get at least 250 participants.”

Anybody that is able to walk 3.1 miles is encouraged to join in on the race, Hallsky said. This invitation isn’t extended only to students. Anybody who wishes to participate is welcome to do so.

Transportation to the event will be provided at 6 a.m. in front of the Student Center on the day of the race.

For participants who cannot physically walk the 3.1 miles or be present at the event who would like to help the cause can register as a “Runner in Spirit,” Hallsky said.

Each person that registers will receive two T-shirts — one that says “Team Kent” and the other is the official 2005 Race for the Cure shirt. Pink ribbons will be passed out to racers, too.

“It’s just like a sea of pink everywhere,” Hallsky said.

Students feel that there are excellent reasons to participate in an event like Race for the Cure.

“It’s for a good cause, good exercise and two free shirts,” said Jeff Jones, senior health care administration major.

“New technology developed by money raised at such events are reaping many rewards in the lives of both patients and families alike,” McMullen said.

To register, go to the DeWeese Health Center or the Women’s Resource Center and pick up a registration form by Sept. 14. Or register online at by Sept. 20.

Contact health reporter Ryan Haidet at [email protected].