Honors music students to perform tonight

Kirsten Beverley

It’s not the “idol show,” but it is a night dedicated to highlighting musical talent of honors students, Larry Andrews, dean of the Honors College, said.

The Honors Music Recital will be held tonight at 8 p.m. in Ludwig Recital Hall in the Music and Speech Building. The recital is free and all are welcome to come.

“The School of Music wants to show off the honors students’ talent,” Andrews said.

Despite the music school’s ambition to show off its honors students’ talents, it is not exclusively for music majors. However, this is the third recital, and it is “the first time that the recital includes just music majors,” Dennis Nygren, professor of music, said. “We didn’t rule anyone out. It is just the way it worked out.”

Honors students volunteer to take part in the recital. “I ask (students) if there is something they have ready, and then we go from there,” Nygren explained.

“We don’t have a formal rehearsal because of logistics, but students are welcome to come and rehearse,” earlier in the evening if they would like to, Nygren said.

Students will play music from a variety of composers from 20th century French composer Jacques Ibert to Beethoven. The instruments vary just as much as the composers. John Marietta will play “Sicilienne” on the cello while Sarah White will use a more natural instrument by singing a romantic opera from composer Giuseppe Verdi.

“It’s quite a mix,” Andrews said.

Following the performance there will be a reception in the foyer of the Music and Speech Building at which time they will be selling last year’s recital on CD.

“I’m excited. I think it is a great opportunity to hear talented young people perform,” Nygren said.

Contact honors and graduate studies reporter Kirsten Beverley at [email protected].