Spring semester brings variety of local bands

Allison Bugg

The next few months may be cold, snowy and miserable — not to mention stressful, but when there’s spare time there’s no reason to be bored this semester. Trade in the sleds and hot chocolate for a more exciting nightlife and check out the local band scene.

Venues around the area such as The Outpost, The Zephyr Pub and the Kent Stage in Kent, The Lime Spider in Akron and Peabody’s in Cleveland host local bands.

“We feature a variety of local bands every week,” Lime Spider publicist Collette Gogan said. “Local blues and soul musician Pat Sweany plays here every Monday night.”

Sweany also plays shows every Tuesday night at The Zephyr Pub. The 29-year-old singer/songwriter and guitarist draws a large crowd of college students and locals.

According to the Kent Stage Web site, the Stage will host Kent native Eric Noden Feb. 12 for the Up From the River Festival. The River Bottom Bushwhackers, a Kent-based band, will also be joining him.

Conservation major Matt Maneri said his band, Caribou Foot, will be playing Feb. 4 at the Grog Shop in Cleveland, March 4 at the Club Khameleon and March 5 at The Lime Spider.

In addition, conservation major Todd Wheaton said his band, Coozy, will be playing a show March 4 at Peabody’s. They are opening for Canton-based band Pepper.

The Numbers Band, celebrating 35 years of music, will play Feb. 5 and again March 5 at The Outpost. Employee Brendan Morgan expects a large crowd and said they are a favorite to see among locals.

The All Campus Programming Board is sponsoring a Battle of the Bands competition in the Rathskeller, which is located in the basement of the Student Center. The battle starts in February and runs through April.

Any band can join as long as at least one person is a student and the winner receives a live performance at Flashfest, which is held at the end of the semester, and a 15-hour studio package from Moondog Recording, located in downtown Kent.

Contact local music reporter Allison Bugg at [email protected].