Gymnastics team score its second-highest score and wins Pink Meet

Sara Al Harthi Sports reporter

The Kent State gymnastics team (12-2, 2-2 Mid-American Conference) won its annual Pink Meet Friday against Bowling Green, Brockport and Ursinus. 

The team scored its second-highest score of the season, 195.450.

Coach Brice Biggin said the team did not win the right way and the Flashes performance had its ups and downs.

“We’ve shown that we have some really good talents, but we’ve also shown that we’re not very consistent and the inconsistency is that thing that’s hurting us,” Biggin said. “I certainly think we have the ability to be a good team, but we’re not performing up to our talent level right now even though we won today.”

Even though freshman Rachel DeCavitch had a fall on beam, she earned individual event title and she tied a career-high 9.875 on bars. Senior Jade Brown finished in second place on beam (9.875) and bars (9.800). Junior Abby Fletcher also earned an individual title and won the event title scoring 9.900 on floor.

“I felt pretty good after vault and bars, but the fall was really upsetting,” DeCavitch said. “But I knew we had one event left and I just had to make sure that I could stick it out for the last event and do what I knew how to do so I could help the team finish strong.”

On beam, sophomore Samantha Henry scored a career-high 9.875. Sophomore Riley Danielson tied a career-high to finish third place with 9.850. Fletcher finished in fourth with 9.825.

“Jade did a nice job on bars and floor. Abby did a pretty good job on vault, beam and floor,” Biggin said. “So probably the junior and senior upper class are who had a good meet today.” 

Freshman Karlie Franz tied a career-high on the vault with a score of 9.800.

The Flashes also nailed floor exercise (49.275) with senior Sarah McCarty and DeCavitch scoring 9.850 and tied for third place.

“I thought I was a strong lead-off,” McCarty said. “I knew we needed a strong score on floor and I really wanted to set the tone for the team.” 

The primary goal of this meet is to support and raise awareness about breast cancer. Kristine Slam, a Kent State gymnastics alumna, founded the COSACARES Grant to focus on helping people who have been or are affected by breast cancer. 

“This is a meet that we feel is extremely important just because of the issue of breast cancer and making sure that people are aware and that they take whatever steps necessary to make sure they get checkups,” Biggin said. “We feel like the more we can get the word out to the general population, not just our girls, but everyone, that hopefully you can save lives by being proactive on it.”

Sara Al Harthi is a sports reporter. Contact her at [email protected].