Spring semester begins with fewer on-campus COVID-19 cases than fall

Screenshot of Coronavirus Dashboard

Kent State COVID-19 cases increased after the spring semester began. The university updates the Coronavirus Dashboard weekly.

Alexandra Golden, Assigning Editor

Kent State COVID-19 cases increased after the spring semester began. The university updates the Coronavirus Dashboard weekly. (Screenshot of Coronavirus Dashboard)

Kent State reported 161 positive COVID-19 cases on campus for the week of Jan. 16, 2022.

As students return for the spring semester, the number of cases are slightly lower than the end of the fall semester, which was 170 for the week of Dec. 12, 2021.

This is the second highest number of positive cases reported trailing the week of Dec. 12, 2021. The only other time cases reached more than 100 since fall was the week of Sept. 5, 2021, the first full week of the semester.

The university has expanded its testing options for students, faculty and staff, according to the Coronavirus Dashboard. This “number of cases are expected to reflect our increased level of testing,” the dashboard states.

Between students, faculty and staff, 3,509 got tested the week of Jan. 16, 2022.

Here’s the breakdown:

• 2,534 tests were done through Vault At-Home

• 937 received testing from Visit Healthcare and

• 38 people got tested at the DeWeese Health Center

Testing is required weekly for students who live on campus who are not yet fully vaccinated or who have an exemption from the vaccine, the dashboard states. The university uses Visit Healthcare for those not experiencing symptoms and DeWeese Health Center for those showing symptoms.

Asymptomatic testing is available Monday through Friday at multiple locations on campus:

• Eastway Lounge

• Second floor auditorium of Cartwright Hall

• MACC 3 Floor Loge

• Dunbar Hall Conference Room

• DeWeese Health Center Annex, the medical trailer is located in the parking lot

• Warren Student Recreation and Wellness Center

No appointment is needed but pre-registration is recommended. All testing is from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. with the exception of Eastway Lounge and the MACC 3 Floor Loge having expanded morning hours on Thursdays with testing starting at 7:30 a.m.

At DeWeese Health Center, testing is available through appointment by calling 330-672-2322 Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

The university updates the Coronavirus Dashboard every Wednesday, adding the results from the previous week.

More information on testing locations and information can be found on the dashboard.

Alexandra Golden is a general assignment editor. Contact her at [email protected].