Baseball wins series against Florida Gulf Coast University

Nick Pedone Sports reporter

On Friday evening in Fort Myers, Florida, Kent State’s baseball team was back on the road looking to rebound from a 12-0 shutout that came at the hands of the University of Miami.

Friday started a three game series with Florida Gulf Coast University, and the Flashes dropped the first game 2-0, making it two games in a row without a run for Kent State.

The Flashes started sophomore pitcher Luke Albright who was brilliant in his second game, although his record worsened to 0-2. He pitched six innings, giving up five hits and two earned runs. Albright also added seven strikeouts.

The Flashes had five players record a hit in Friday’s loss. Junior Michael Turner and sophomore Eric Wentz both singled to put runners at first and second in their last at bat. 

Saturday afternoon’s rematch was much more successful for Kent State’s offense and the Flashes won 9-2 behind a strong start from the left-handed junior Collin Romel. 

Romel pitched five shutout innings, allowing only three hits. It was a bounce back performance from his season debut, where he only pitched four innings and allowed three runs.

Redshirt junior Ben Carew continued his red hot start to the 2020 campaign with two hits in four plate appearances, including an RBI. Wentz contributed two hits and another RBI. Turner and sophomore Grant Vera also both contributed an RBI.

The series closed on Sunday with the Flashes shutting out FGCU 4-0.

Junior Ryan Lane kept his record perfect at 2-0 for the Flashes in this young season. He pitched eight and a third of an inning, allowing only three hits. He also added ten strikeouts.

Carew kept his hit streak alive for Kent State, improving his batting average to a stellar .400.

Redshirt junior Kevin Dobos had two hits in three at bats, one of them scoring a runner. Turner and sophomore Collin Mathews also contributed a hit in the victory. 

With Sunday’s victory, the Flashes improved to 4-3 overall on the season. Florida treated them well, but they will be headed to South Carolina for a weekend series against Winthrop University. First pitch on Friday in Rock Hill, South Carolina is set for 4 p.m.

Nick Pedone is a sports reporter. Contact him at [email protected].