Kent State to hold first Anti-Racism Conference in October

Alton Northup, Reporter

Kent State University will hold its first-ever Anti-Racism Conference on October 6 and 7.             

Dr. Bettina L. Love will be the keynote speaker for the Anti-Racism Conference. (Courtesy of Kent State University)

“The purpose of the conference is to create an awareness and understanding of anti-racism through an intersectional lens,” stated in an email sent to Kent State students, faculty and staff on June 9. “The conference will allow attendees to explore the concept of anti-racism and its principles. The conference will also provide a foundation for advancing anti-racism across Kent State’s campuses.”

Bettina L. Love, the Georgia Athletic Association Professor in Education at the University of Georgia, will be the keynote speaker. As an award-winning author, her work covers anti-racism, abolition, Black joy and education reform.

The university is currently seeking input from students, faculty and staff for panels, workshops, roundtables, art and performances through the call for proposals form.

“The conference will examine, through an intersectional lens, how racism intersects with other forms of oppression based on gender and other identities such as LGBTQ+, disabilities, languages, veteran statues, international/immigrant/refugee backgrounds, socio-economic statues, religion and first-generation students, among others,” stated in the call for proposals form.

The conference follows the wrap-up of a nearly year-long study into systemic racism at Kent State by the Anti-Racism Task Force, which the university formed following a racially motivated hate incident on campus. Official findings have yet to be released by the taskforce, which was made up of students, faculty and staff.

For more information about the conference email [email protected].

Alton Northup is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].