Masks now required at Kent State’s Ashtabula, Columbiana, Summit and Tuscarawas campuses, locations

Ashtabula, Columbiana, Summit and Tuscarawas counties, where Kent State operates several campuses and locations, recently moved into the “high” community level designation for COVID-19 as defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Emma Andrus, Managing Editor

Masks are now required indoors at Kent State campuses in Ashtabula, Columbiana, Summit and Tuscarawas counties, according to an email sent by the university Friday morning. 

The decision comes following the respective counties’ move into the CDC’s “high” community level designation for COVID-19. According to the email and previous communications, the university uses the CDC’s community level designations “when making determinations for safety precautions on our campuses.” 

Locations and campuses newly affected by the mask requirement include: 

• Ashtabula campus
  • East Liverpool campus
  • Salem campus
  • Tuscarawas campus
  • Twinsburg Academic Center

Masks are not required while individuals are working alone in spaces such as a lab or an office, according to the email. 

On July 29, Portage County moved into the “high” designation, prompting the university to require masks in indoor settings at its main campus

Other Kent State locations and campuses in Cuyahoga and Trumbull counties, which remain in the “high” designation, have also required masks indoors. 

According to the email, the university is currently monitoring the COVID-19 numbers and level for Geauga and Stark counties, which are currently in the “medium” designation. 

“We will continue to monitor COVID-19 levels in all the counties where we have campuses or locations and will adjust our requirements and recommendations according to CDC guidelines,” the email said. “Kent State will always make the health and safety of our students, faculty and staff our top priority as we strive to provide a healthy and safe environment for all to live, learn and work.”

Emma Andrus is managing editor. Contact her at [email protected].