Gymnastics picks up first wins of the season

Michael Neenan, Reporter

The Kent State gymnastics team picked up its first wins of the season after placing third in the Tennessee Collegiate Classic.

The Flashes had a score of 195.925 on Friday.

Kent State’s first win of the season was against Fisk, and the second was against Southeast Missouri State.

Fisk finished last in the meet with a score of 190.025 behind Southeast Missouri State who compiled a score of 195.350.

Despite improving their total output of 194.475 in last week’s match, the Flashes were outscored by Lindenwood and Ball State who accumulated a score of 196.175 and 196.550 respectively.

KSU’s strongest area was on the floor where they accumulated a score of 49.300, including a pair of 9.900 performances from senior Karlie Franz and sophomore Alyssa Guns.

This is the second meet in a row where the floor has been the team’s highest scoring event, after Kent State recorded a 49.050 in last week’s meet.

Senior Rachel DeCavitch recorded a 9.900 on the Bars as part of a 49.050 showing from the Flashes.

“I thought our confidence overall looked better everywhere and we talked about trying to try to fix some of the little things because those little things kept adding up,” coach Brice Biggin said. “We really saw a very nice step up from where they were the first weekend, but obviously at the same time, we certainly don’t like to finish in third.”

The team also managed to improve their performance on the beam with a score of 48.875, improving .8 from last week.

The Flashes failed to improve from last week’s performance on the vault with a score of 48.700 compared to 48.775 from last week.

Despite the loss to Ball State, the results will not count as part of conference play due to the neutral location of the meet and the Flashes will get a rematch next month when the Cardinals travel to Kent.

KSU is now 2-4 overall. Kent State will begin Mid-American Conference play next week.

“The MAC has gotten so good that you really need to be at your best every week if you want to beat a MAC opponent,” Biggin said. “It makes for an exciting week, every week, but it also tells your kids that they have to be able to step up every single week if they want a chance of winning a regular season championship.”

The Flashes will face off against MAC opponents in six of their seven remaining meets.

The team looks ahead to its first home meet of the season against Western Michigan and its first opponent in conference play.

“Western Michigan is a good team,” Biggin said. “But we don’t want anyone coming into our place and winning. So it’s a matter of really buckling down, paying attention to the little details, attacking their routines with confidence and if we do that, then I think we’ll be fine.”

KSU will take on Western Michigan Jan. 29 at 1 p.m. in the  M.A.C.Center.

Michael Neenan is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].