Women’s lacrosse defeats Butler in second straight win

Michael Neenan, Reporter

Senior goalkeeper Madison Flannigan recorded 13 saves as the Kent State women’s lacrosse team defeated Butler 16-11.

“She did a phenomenal job for us,” coach Brianne Tierney said. “I think we could have helped her a little bit defensively.”

KSU’s overall record improved 2-1 to start the season and earned its second straight victory.

Junior attacker Jackie Wolford scored a team-high five goals on eight shots.

“Her stick got hot,” Tierney said. “I think she got stuffed once by the goalie and it made her mad. She’s always awesome for us and is always a leader.”

Senior attacker Morgan Kubicki scored three goals and four assists for a team-best seven points.

Another notable performance came from senior attacker Kenzie Sklar who scored three goals on six shots to maintain her streak of at least three goals in each of the Flashes’ three games of the season.

Butler scored first just a minute-and-a-half into the first quarter before the Flashes scored off a goal from freshman midfielder Zayda Crumpton. KSU then scored four more goals to take a 5-1 lead after the first.

During the second quarter, the Flashes jumped out to an early lead to go up 9-1 off a goal from Kubicki with 10 minutes left in the quarter.

The Bulldogs would then outscore KSU for the remainder of the quarter to enter the half with a 11-5 Kent State lead.

The Flashes retook the eight-goal lead off a goal from Sklar to enter the fourth with a 14-6 lead.

The final quarter saw Kent State get outscored 2-5, but the Bulldogs could not erase the deficit and the Flashes secured the victory.

After the game, Tierney praised freshman Peyton Gellin for her performance in the fourth quarter by maintaining possession of the ball to run out the clock.

“We struggled with transition in the last two games,” Tierney said. “She helped us get the ball up the field.”

Kent State’s next game is against San Diego State.

“San Diego State is similar to Butler, Duquesne and Cincinnati, they’re strong and fast and athletic,” Tierney said. “I think we were a little surprised in our first game of the year down in Cincinnati, just how fast they were moving or how hard they were going. I think we’ve settled into our own right now.”

The next meet is scheduled for Friday, March 3 in San Diego.

Michael Neenan is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].