Alyssa Guns scores a 9.900 or over in two events

Kyndall+Gilbert+celebrates+with+the+team+as+she+receives+a+bar+score+that+ties+her+with+a+Cardinals+vaulter+on+Feb.+19%2C+2023.+

Yasmeen Matthews

Kyndall Gilbert celebrates with the team as she receives a bar score that ties her with a Cardinals vaulter on Feb. 19, 2023.

Michael Neenan, Reporter

Sophomore Alyssa Guns scored at least a 9.900 or over in two events in a loss to Mid-American Conference rival Ball State.

The Flashes fell to the Cardinals 195.725 to 196.125.

The team moved to 5-6 overall and 2-2 in the MAC.

Guns recorded a 9.925 on the floor as well as a 9.900 on the beam, both of which were a team high for each event.

“I’m just hitting consistent practices and then trusting yourself to transfer it over,” Guns said. “You can’t overthink, you just have to go out there and have fun and that’s how you succeed.”

Kent State’s floor routine scored a 49.325 which ties their second best output of the season in the event. Senior Karlie Franz posted a 9.900  in the event for the fifth straight meet. 

“I think home we have a little bit of an advantage,” Franz said. “Because we have our home crowd and it’s loud and the energy is good and we work well together.”

Alyssa Guns ends her floor routine which results in a score of 9.925 against Ball State Cardinals beam score of 9.825 Feb. 19, 2023. (Yasmeen Matthews)

When asked how Franz is able to score a 9.900 on the floor consistently, coach Brice Biggin responded by saying he wished he knew the answer and if he did, he would tell the other KSU gymnasts to follow suit.

“She’s a senior, she’s been successful in the past,” coach Biggin said. “I think she just is so confident in her ability to go out there and repeat the same routine.”

The Flashes’ next highest scoring event was on the vault with a score of 49.050. Leading the team in scoring was junior Kyndall Gilbert who posted a season-high 9.850 in the event.

Kent State also posted a 49.025 on the beam.

KSU’s lowest scoring event was on the bars where the team posted a score of 48.325. Senior Rachel DeCavitch led the event with a score of 9.875.

DeCavitch also led all gymnasts in scoring, posting an all-around score of 39.525.

The Flashes’ next meet is on the road against Eastern Michigan.

Biggin said that the team needs to have more confidence in themselves for the next meet.

“They’re capable of doing these routines, they practice them day in and day out,” Biggin said. “Unfortunately, we just have people on different events that start to second guess themselves. They end up rushing a skill or they end up holding back a little bit on one because they’re just a little bit anxious about it.”

Kent State is scheduled to compete at Eastern Michigan, Sunday at 1 p.m.

Michael Neenan is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected]