Man suspected in attack of student at the track faces multiple charges

Christopher Eugene Clark was charged in Portage County Common Pleas Court with two counts of gross sexual imposition, both felonies of the fourth degree, obstructing official business, a misdemeanor second degree and assault, a misdemeanor second degree.

On October 1, Clark was arrested for an incident that occurred near the fitness track behind DeWeese Health Center on the Kent Campus where he allegedly approached a female student and pulled her lower garments down. The female student fell during the encounter, giving her minor scrapes and abrasions. 

Clark appeared on video for his arraignment. Portage County Public Defender Shawn Burns represented him in the courtroom. 

Clark, 21, of Newton Falls, Ohio, was charged with robbery, which is a felony of the third degree in 2016. 

The prosecutor attempted to change Clark’s cash assurance bond from $50,000 to $75,000. She explained Clark is a danger to the community due to his present charges and previous crimes of violence. 

Judge Laurie Pittman accepted Clark’s not guilty plea and kept the $50,000 bond. If Clark meets his bond, he will be under electronic house arrest and will be prohibited from having any contact with the victim.

Clark is not a student at Kent State, a K.S.U. Advisory email said. 

Pittman set three court dates for Clark. A status conference is set for Nov. 19, a jury pretrial is set for Dec. 12 and a jury trial is set for Dec. 17.

According to the Record-Courier, Portage County Prosecutor Victor Vigluicci told reporter Eileen McClory, “Clark was accused of pulling down a different woman’s pants in Kent on Sept. 23. Kent State Capt. Chris Jenkins said Clark walked up behind a female student at about 9:30 p.m. at the Eastway Center at Kent State University and pulled down her pants.”

Contact Becca Sagaris at [email protected].