Baseball gets back into win column against Toledo, loses to Ohio State

Jacob Shondel, Reporter

Kent State’s baseball team ended its season-high four-game losing streak, sweeping Toledo in Sunday’s doubleheader at Olga Mural Field at Schoonover Stadium.

KSU improved to 18-9 on the season and is third in the Mid-American Conference at 6-3 after the series against Toledo.

The Rockets fell to 14-13 overall and are now tied for fifth in the conference at 6-6.

Friday, the Flashes scored all six of their run in the fourth and fifth innings as the Rockets went on to win 7-6.

Freshman designated hitter Kolton Schaller led all players with three hits and recorded two RBIs.

Freshman third basemen Brody Williams totaled two RBIs, bringing his season total to 15 – KSU has eight players with 15 or more RBIs.

Sophomore pitcher Peyton Cariaco started the game, giving up five runs and striking out two Rockets.

During the doubleheader, the Flashes outscored Toledo 13-9 en route to winning both games.

In game one, KSU won 6-3, with six of the 12 hits going for extra bases.

Sophomore right fielder Jake Casey recorded a game-high three RBIs, and graduate student outfielder Collin Mathews hit his first home run of the season.

Junior pitcher Joe Whitman tied a season-high in innings (5.2) and strikeouts (11). He has a team-leading 50 strikeouts on the season.

In the weekend’s final game, the Flashes fell behind 4-0 in the third inning but just four hits in the remainder of the game.

After outscoring Toledo 7-2 in the game’s final six innings, KSU completed the doubleheader sweep, winning 7-6.

The Flashes only recorded six hits in the contest but drew nine walks, leaving just six men on base.

The Rockets, however, left 10 men on base.

Senior catcher Justin Miknis recorded his first home run of the season, which tied the game 6-6 in the bottom of the seventh.

Redshirt senior pitcher Ben Cruikshank started the game for the Flashes, giving up four runs while striking out four batters.

Sophomore pitcher Eric Chalus entered in relief, striking out a season-high eight batters – he totaled six innings.

On the road

The Flashes traveled to Columbus on Tuesday, losing to Ohio State 7-6.

MAC RBI-leader Aidan Longwell totaled a game-high three hits, including his fifth homer – he now has 41 RBIs.

Kent State took a 5-2 lead in the sixth inning before giving up three runs to the Buckeyes in the bottom of the sixth.

Junior infielder Kyle Jackson recorded two RBIs, bringing his season total to 12.

KSU used seven pitchers during the game – no one threw more than 29 pitches.

Senior pitcher Jack Kartsonas received his first start of the season.

Kent State left eight runners on base – OSU only left four.

Up next

The Flashes will now hit the road to Bowling Green, taking on the fifth-place Falcons (11-14, 6-6 MAC).

The 3-game series opens up Friday at 3 p.m.

BGSU ranks last in the conference with a .216 team batting average – KSU is first at .301.

Jacob Shondel is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].