Royalty reimagined at Fabric Pantry Fashion Show

Models complete one last walk of the runway during the finale of the Kent State Fabric Pantry Fashion Show April 21, 2023. The show’s theme this year was Royal Court.

Sage Mason, Reporter

Fifty models took the runway in original designs created by Kent State students at the second annual Fabric Pantry Fashion Show on April 21.

“We are a student organization that provides fabric and free materials to all students and Kent creators,” said Pearl Heinley, the current president of the organization. “Almost 100% of our stock is donated from members of the community.”

The fabric pantry was started by Zaz Alverino, the 2021-2022 Undergraduate Student Government senator for the College of the Arts.

She decided to start the fabric pantry after seeing the amount of fabric waste created through class projects and the burden of the cost of fabric on fashion students. Undergraduate Student Government aids to fund the pantry but any donations of scraps or leftover fabric are accepted. The pantry is open and completely free of charge to all Kent State students.

The annual Fabric Pantry Fashion Show was started to promote the use of the pantry by showing that functional and fun garments can still be made without purchasing new fabric. The show challenges designers to use the fabric pantry to create new designs that fit the show’s theme.

The show’s theme this year was Royal Court, which had designers pull inspiration from different eras of royalty. It allowed designers to get creative with how they envisioned royalty. Design inspiration for the outfits ranged from Marie Antoinette to a spin on the 2000s.

Model Camryn Kwiatkoski, a junior political science major, wore an outfit designed by Julien Proffitt, a sophomore fashion design major. The outfit pulled inspiration from historical royal wear and editorial lingerie.

“The creative experience that the fashion show offers is an amazing opportunity I knew I wanted to be a part of,” said Kwiatkoski. “I love seeing different designers execute their visions in such unique and particular ways.”

As each model walked the runway, a mood board to show the inspiration for the outfit was projected above them and they were scored by three judges. The show concluded with awards.

First place was awarded to Taliah Gardner, who was crowned and awarded a $60 JoAnn Fabrics gift card. Gardner designed two outfits for the show, both of which pulled inspiration from early French royalty with a modern twist.

To get involved with the Fabric Pantry or to see more from the fashion show visit its Instagram here.

Sage Mason is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].