Say it ain’t so, Steve Carell!

Nick Glunt

Nick Glunt talks about The Office after Steve Carell.

By now, I’m sure we’ve all heard that Steve Carell is leaving “The Office” after this season. His contract will expire after seven seasons and he’s decided not to renew it.

With his final season beginning Thursday, I’m sure we’re all wondering how “The Office” will continue when Michael Scott, who Carell portrays, leaves at the end. More importantly, at least to me, is how the writers will have him sever his ties with Dunder Mifflin.

Here are my theories.

After pulling some research on the subject, I have discovered a small wealth of information on the show’s seventh season. With this information, I have come up with my own ideas for the fate of Michael Scott.

Both Melora Hardin, who played Jan Levinson, and Amy Ryan, who played Holly Flax, are set to return in guest roles this season. As Jan and Holly were both love interests to Michael, I can only guess there will be some sort of romantic drama that will ensue.

Based on the past couple of seasons, I’m going to make a bold assertion. I believe Michael will choose to leave Dunder Mifflin to be with Holly, who he has called in past seasons “the love of his life.” Though Jan will likely complicate the matter, he’ll eventually choose Holly.

I mean, even if you’re not a fan of “The Office,” you can appreciate the chemistry the two characters have. They’re practically the same person in male and female forms, hell, I’d venture to call them soulmates.

Once Michael leaves, though, someone’s got to take his place. Most of the other actors on the show are signed on for eight seasons, so it’s likely the show will continue for at least one more.

The obvious candidates are Jim Halpert, portrayed by John Krasinski, and Dwight Schrute, portrayed by Rainn Wilson.

Jim has already held the position of co-manager temporarily, but he’s so likable that the show would actually get a good boss. Dwight, on the other hand, is almost as obnoxious and oblivious as Michael is.

However, my prediction is that neither of them will get the promotion.

In the sixth season, the paper company Dunder Mifflin, the subject of the show, was bought out by the printer company Sabre. To keep the new acquisition under control, Sabre sent a representative named Gabe Lewis.

Gabe was instantly disliked and mocked by the entire office. He isn’t respected by the group, but is nonetheless a superior on the corporate ladder. He is insecure and annoying as a character, just like Michael.

As of this season, Zach Woods, the actor who plays Gabe, has been promoted to recurring character like most of the cast.

Because of his similarity to Michael Scott and the fact that he will become a much more common character on the show, my guess is that Sabre will promote Gabe to regional manager when Michael leaves.

The real question, though, is whether the show will be worth watching once Steve Carell is no longer the star. Michael Scott makes the show. Without him, there is little to go on anymore.

But don’t fret. Try to put a little trust in the writers. We’re going to have to let them take us for a ride and just hope we enjoy it. (That’s what she said.)

Contact Nick Glunt [email protected].