Health inspectors: The department keeping food safe

Erin Sullivan
An employee at the Design Innovation Hub dining hall serves food to Kent State students on Sept. 6, 2023.

If you ever ate a meal and didn’t get sick, you can thank a health inspector.

Justin Smith, the chief sanitarian for the City of Kent’s Health Department and acting environmental health director, oversees enforcement and compliance for food safety.

The food safety department inspects local restaurants and food service establishments, including university dining halls, runs initiatives and programs to prevent foodborne illness outbreaks and promotes a safe dining environment for the community.

“In terms of enforcement, the department conducts routine inspections to assess compliance with food safety regulations,” Smith said. “If an establishment fails an inspection or has critical violations, a follow-up inspection is scheduled to ensure corrective actions are taken. In cases where there is an immediate risk to public health, the health commissioner may suspend a license until the issues are resolved.”

Edward LaShawn Hardin Sr., the residential dining chef at the Design Innovation Hub, said he makes sure students have well-balanced options for meals and that staff follow food safety guidelines.

“There’s a test that they have to take regarding food safety, and they have to get a 75 or above to be employed,” Hardin said. “The test is administered through the dietician who attached it to the online application.”

The food safety department randomly inspects campus eateries twice a semester. With so many kitchens to inspect throughout the city, the department encounters some difficulties.

“One of the challenges faced by the department is the training of staff; this can make it difficult to maintain consistent compliance with food safety regulations,” Smith said. “Despite these challenges, the department continues to work toward improving food safety practices in Kent.”

The department also offers support and education to local businesses through consultation services and ODH-approved ServSafe courses. By educating operators and providing resources, the department aims to improve overall food safety compliance in the community.

Ignatius Ogbu is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].