Air Quality Alert issued for northeast Ohio

Courtesy the National Weather Service

The National Weather Service issued two weather alerts affecting northeast Ohio today, one being an Air Quality Alert and the other a Hazardous Weather Outlook. 

The Air Quality Advisory was issued by the Northeast Ohio Areawide Coordinating Agency for Ashtabula, Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain, Medina, Portage and Summit Counties.

The current air quality index in Kent is at 126, which is unhealthy for sensitive groups.

Brian Mitchell, the observing program leader for the National Weather Service in Cleveland, said warmer air and lighter winds allow plumes to gather closer to ground levels, causing poor air quality.  

“It’s [the weather advisory] currently through midnight tonight,” Mitchell said. “Now that usually gets updated in the evening, so there again with warm temperatures and current conditions it is possible that it could be extended into tomorrow.”

To stay safe and help reduce the current quality of the air, Mitchell advised to take alternate transportation, such as biking or walking. If you are driving, turn your engine off when stopped or try not to idle. 

The Hazardous Weather Outlook is for north central Ohio, northeast Ohio, northwest Ohio and northwest Pennsylvania.

Mitchell said this warning comes from isolated thunderstorms today and a stronger storm system that will be moving in toward the middle of the week. 

“They could still be a little bit stronger, but the bigger chances are when the front comes through on Wednesday afternoon and evening,” he said. “We do have a slight risk of severe thunderstorms, large hail and damaging winds Wednesday afternoon and evening across most of northern Ohio.”

Audrey Trevarthan is managing editor. Contact her at [email protected].