Student entertainment group hosts fashion show

Student entertainment group The Creator Collective held their first-ever event Friday evening, a fashion show titled “Hollywood Walk.” 

The Creator Collective, created in the spring of 2023, is a group consisting of students with passions in fashion, film, music, art and photography.

According to their Instagram, their mission statement says, “The Creator Collective strives to bring together creative students from across campus and give them the opportunity to develop, exemplify, and explore their passions in a team setting.” 

Daylon Brown, Creator Collective President, talked about the goal of the group.

“The Creator Collective is supposed to be a creation, it’s supposed to be people coming together and bringing ideas together.” he said.

“Hollywood Walk,” held in Oscar Ritchie Hall, is a fashion show based around the theme of movies. Students were able to style and design outfits based on a movie of their choice to be modeled in the show. The show ended with a dance routine from Legacy Dance Crew.

Movie inspirations for outfits consisted of films such as “High School Musical,” “Barbie” and “Black Panther.” Models walked the stage to soundtracks from the films.  

Nadia Boone, senior fashion design major and fashion ambassador for the group, wanted to collaborate both film and fashion for the show, she said.

“There are a lot of DMP (digital media production) majors in this club. So I was like, let’s do something that kind of collaborates with film, but also collaborates with fashion,” she said. “Everybody can showcase their favorite show or movie, and the film people can get their aspect in it. It’s really everyone coming together and showcasing their stuff, but also working together on one project to create something beautiful, which we did today.” 

James Daniel, a model in the show, showcased a “Black Panther” inspired cape designed by student Neveah Harvey.

“I came as King T’Challa, I left royalty,” he said. “It’s a wonderful experience, something I look forward to doing again. I got out of my comfort zone a little bit, but I love it.” 

The crowd for the show was full, as audience members watched and applauded the models and designers. 

Max Zuschin, a sophomore nursing student, said that he enjoyed the “Black Panther” inspired design.

“I thought the Black Panther theme was very well done. I thought it fit the themes of the movie well,” he said.

For more information on The Creator Collective, follow @thecreatorcollective.kent on Instagram

Kelsie Horner is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].