Ohio Latino Affairs Summit 2023: University hosts discussions, collaboration

Photos by Sofia Giotti-Teixeria

The Ohio Latino Affairs Summit (OLAS) 2023, hosted by Kent State University alongside The Ohio Latino Affairs Commission (OLAC), took place on Sept. 15 in the Kent Student Center, marking a successful and inspiring event.

The summit brought together a diverse group of attendees. Over 600 people registered, including K-12 to college students, educators, legislators, government officials and community stakeholders, for a day of insightful, collaborative efforts.

The agenda featured a day filled with engaging discussions, workshops and networking opportunities. In a dynamic blend of in-person and virtual workshops, the format allowed for broader participation and engagement.

With a central focus on addressing the challenges faced by Hispanic and Latino communities, this year’s summit aimed to foster a deeper understanding of these issues and inspire collaborative solutions.

The summit started with welcome remarks from Daniel Diaz Nilsson, assistant dean for access and engagement for the college of education, health and human services and summit chair; Manuel Lopez Ramirez, board chair at OLAC; and Kent State University President Todd Diacon.

“We [Kent State] meet people where they are,” he said, “we work together to create the conditions so that all may succeed.”

K-12 students then had a specific ‘Latino Youth Track’ in which they had the chance to explore the campus. It included two events: ‘Taste of Kent State,’ in which they got to know the dining and a ‘Resource Fair’ where organizations were tabling on how they can support the youth, while also attending highlight panels of the event.

The first plenary covered Ohio Public Policy Update, led by Annabel Meleán, public policy officer at Ohio Latino Affairs Commission (OLAC).

“We [the public] have the power to hold our representatives accountable,” she said, “to really meet us where we are at.” 

The summit also featured 45-minute ‘Breakout Blocks’ that allowed attendees to choose topics of interest among the three main divisions – business/workforce development, education and health.

‘Breakout Block 1’ included three panels on education, with several professors as guest speakers inspiring and encouraging the audience. The health track offered two workshop presentation options, allowing the audience an opportunity for reflection and discussion.

‘Breakout Block 2’ presented three other professors in the educational panel options discussing challenges faced in the scenario. The business track had three renowned managers presenting how to improve skills, different certifications and hands-on learning opportunities beyond the summit. 

In the health track, Dr. Odayme Quesada and Proyecto RAICES executive director Rita Aggarwal, respectively, presented about raising awareness of Latina heart health and community-led support to address mental health for Hispanic families.

By mid-day, the ‘Premio La Cumbre’ award, out of 9 nominees, honored Yarimar Soto-Perez, manager of the Sexual Assault Multidisciplinary team at Cleveland Rape Crisis Center, for her role and leadership in breaking down barriers and creating opportunities to empower Hispanic Ohioans.

One of the highlights of the event was the keynote speaker, Marla E. Pérez-Davis, Director of CAAM at the College of Aeronautics and Engineering and recipient of numerous NASA awards.

“¡Juntos! we [Latinos] continue to drag prosperity, power, and progress in Ohio,” she said.

Throughout the day, the summit featured a vendor/exhibitor gallery with more than 45 organizations tabling for support to Latinos, including university offices, vendors, government organizations and others. During the last plenary of the event, along with the ‘Cafecito break,’ attendees had the opportunity to check the gallery, network and get to know each other more.

During ‘Breakout Block 3,’ the final panels presented an interpreter and translator, an academic advisor and a professor with PhD students sharing their experiences on the educational track. 

Workforce development had several specialists spread through three panels to share resources and experience about starting a business. The health track wrapped up its participation by presenting the Latino Mental Health Navigator program and how to engage.

OLAS 2023 concluded, marking the first day of National Hispanic Heritage Month and setting an enthusiastic tone for celebrations to come at Kent State.

Sofia Giotti-Teixeira is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].