Marching band brings down the house in Saturday’s halftime show

Emma Van Winkle
Kent State’s marching band performs its “The Wizard of Oz” themed show at the home opener for Kent State Football on Sept. 16, 2023.

A near-packed student section and large crowd created a cheer-filled Dix Stadium Saturday at the home opening football game – but fans were not only applauding a finally-winning football team.   

The Marching Golden Flashes marching band had just entered the field during halftime with a tribute to “The Wizard of Oz,” “The Wiz” and “Wicked” during Kent State’s game against Central Connecticut State.

“We’ve put in a lot of work for a really good halftime show,” said Jared Eichler, a third-year music education major and drum major for the band. “We’re always performing throughout the game. We want to bring the energy to the game to help our sports teams success and also to create that sense of community through the power of music.”

In addition to playing throughout the game, the marching band welcomed the football team with its pregame routine, where band members formed a large “K” and spelled out KSU on the field. 

By halftime, the Flashes had a 21-0 lead and recorded their first touchdowns of the season. The band opened its performance with “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.” During this “The Wizard of Oz” opener, they formed a house and moved it down the field, resembling Dorothy’s house crushing The Wicked Witch of the East. 

Members closed out the show with “Defying Gravity” in their “Wicked” medley. 

“We had a lot of energy in the stands and on the field,” said Kaitlyn Leib, a senior history major and mellophone section leader for the band. “I think that really brought the win to the day. We put a lot of work into that show. There’s a lot of people applauding at the end, which was nice.”

Eichler said the band prepared extensively for this first game. A week before classes started, the band attended a weeklong band camp, which ran from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. During the school year, the band members practice together Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.   

“It’s been an honor to work with the group,” Eichler said. “The amount of work every single member of the ensemble has put into this performance is just phenomenal, and the amount we’ve also grown since that first day that we were all together is just mind blowing.” 

Kent State twirler finishing out the Wizard of Oz show at the football home opener on Sept. 16, 2023. (Emma Van Winkle)

Director of Athletic Bands Darin Olson said the band members “truly enjoy being around each other” during practices and performances.

“If you come out to stop by our rehearsals, they’re energetic, they’re having a great time – and that’s really what it’s all about,” he said. “We spend a lot of time together, but it’s not a tedious process being together. I’m very proud of what they have accomplished and continue to accomplish.” 

It’s a long process deciding the theme for each football game performance, Olson said. At the end of each band season, Olson brainstorms possible songs and show ideas with his marching band students – then, the show is later decided based on interest and significance. 

Next up, the band will perform a “cartoon classics” routine during halftime of Kent State’s next home football game Sept. 30 against Miami (OH). They will play theme songs from classic cartoons such as SpongeBob and, in celebration of Warner Bros. 100th anniversary, The Flintstones and Looney Tunes. 

“We put in a lot of work, and we’re really excited to show off what we have,” Leib said. “It’s always a good time to watch the band, whether it’s during pregame or halftime or if we’re downtown band the night before the game. Anytime you can check out the band, I think, will be worth your while.” 

Isabella Schreck is editor-in-chief. Contact her at [email protected]

View Comments (1)