Dormitory housing brings mixed emotions for students

Kylee Coles
The Continental Court A, one of Kent State’s residence hall for incoming and upper-divison students, located at 275 Midway Dr., Kent, OH.

Editor’s note: The lede of this article was edited to clarify that no students quoted are currently experiencing mold-related issues with student housing. 

Some students have a love-hate relationship with on-campus housing, while others have a great dorm-life experience.

Kent State has 24 residence halls for undergraduate students to live in on campus. Each residence hall follows four core values, which are community, growth and well-being, integrity, and social justice, according to the 2023 University Housing Missions and Values page on the website.

Rose Cohen, a junior visual communication design major, described her time at Olsen Hall as enjoyable and issue-free. 

“I met a lot of friends through my dorm, and it was also nice being close to food. I enjoyed living on campus,” Cohen said. 

Others, however, had a much different experience. 

Mackensie Daniel, a sophomore sports medicine student, recalled her experience with black mold in Manchester Hall last year. 

“We had a little bit of black mold in my building,” Daniel said. “We had some in our vents, but it went away – we got it fixed.” 

Black mold can cause serious health issues and poses a threat to students. There were other cases in Daniel’s building worse than hers, such as mold growing on others shoes and wardrobes, she said.

“One guy was in the hospital, he was out of school for like two weeks and he had a terrible cough,” she said.

Haley Ferguson, a sophomore fashion merchandising major said mold was also an issue in Clark Hall. 

“Some of my neighbors had it,” Ferguson said. “My roommate and I were checking our vents constantly just to make sure we didn’t have mold, but I still felt a little sick.”

Mold was reported in at least four residence halls on campus last year, according to KentWired article “Students report mold in at least 4 residence halls” from September 22, 2022.

Despite these issues, Ferguson still finds value in living on campus. 

“I think it completes the college experience,” Ferguson said, “I would totally recommend it.”

There are 18 different restaurants, dining halls and coffee carts on campus, according to University Housing’s website.  

Jacob Rathkopf, a sophomore human development family science student, also said he enjoys living on campus because he likes the events that are constantly happening. Kent State has year-round events on-campus such as a homecoming spirit week and parade, bingo, read-ins, yoga workshops, food trucks and more.

“There’s lots of fun things happening,” Rathkopf said. 

Kylee Coles is a reporter. You can contact her at [email protected].