Deltas take home trophy from Kent’s Integrated Greek Council step show

Members of Kappa Alpha Psi perform in annual integrated Greek step show on Sept. 20, 2019.

Five of the eight black sororities and fraternities at Kent State competed head to head for a $100 cash prize and bragging rights at the step show Friday night.   

Black organizations Kappa Alpha Psi, Omega Psi Phi, Delta Sigma Theta, Phi Beta Sigma and Zeta Phi Beta showcased their stepping skills at the competition.

Kent State’s Integrated Greek Council organized the show.

Imani Lucas, a junior nursing major, member of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Incorporated and social media coordinator for the Integrated Greek Council, explained what the council does. 

“We are a council made up of integrated fraternities and sororities on campus,” she said. “Our goal is to make our council feel welcome on campus and also work in unity with other surrounding councils.”

Hosts Sydney Evans, a sophomore interior design major and member of Sigma Gamma Rho, and CJ Owensby, a sophomore Pan-African studies major and a member of Phi Beta Sigma, started off the show with light banter and jokes.

Next, they introduced each organization. When an organization was named, the members would shout out that specific organization’s call. 

Each organization has their own call unique to that sorority or fraternity. The calls enveloped the auditorium in high or low pitched sounds of exuberance.  

Kappa Alpha Psi got on stage first and entertained the crowd with their perfectly executed strolling. 

Strolling in multicultural organizations is when members stand in a line and dance in synchronization to music while walking forward.

The Kappas were followed by Omega Psi Phi.

Omega Psi Phi showcased their talents with a lot of stepping and chants. The groups animated chants filled the room with cheers. 

Then the first sorority of the night, Delta Sigma Theta, took the stage with energetic synchronized dance moves. 

After the three performances, it was intermission and the Kent State all female dance troupe, the Flashettes, performed. Dressed in navy blue leotards, they engrossed the auditorium with their well-rehearsed moves. 

Following the Flashettes, sorority Sigma Gamma Rho, who wasn’t competing, also strolled during intermission. 

After intermission, Phi Beta Sigma performed and switched things up by dancing to marching band music. They also incorporated the Flashettes into their routine to really bring the marching band segment alive.

The last group to perform was sorority Zeta Phi Beta. Dressed in blue long sleeve shirts, the women brought the stepping to a close.

At the end of the show, all participating organizations were brought on stage, where they announced the winner. 

After a close call, the trophy and $100 prize was awarded to sorority Delta Sigma Theta. 

Member of Delta Sigma and junior psychology major Carlisle Hall excitedly explained what it took to win big.

“Hard work and dedication. You always 

have to be dedicated and you always have to know what your end goal is,” Hall said. “Staying focused, energized and coming with a positive mind.”

Delta Sigma Theta plans to use the prize money to continue its mission in giving back to the community.

Contact Kennedi Combs at [email protected].