Defense leads the way as women’s soccer opens conference play

Janson McNair
Giulia Giovinazzi (center) headers a ball away from Duquesne defenders at Kent State’s senior day matchup against Duquesne Sep. 10, 2023.

The Kent State women’s soccer team has been looking for more consistency on offense this year. They had 11 days off before the start of conference play and figured something out with a dominant win over Ohio, 1-0.

“It’s huge to start conference play with a win on the road and a great team victory,” coach Rob Marinaro said. 

The Flashes improved to 4-2-2 on the season while earning a 1-0 record in the Mid-American Conference.

Junior Alisa Arthur highlighted the offense with seven shots, including five shots on goal and the game-winning goal. 

The Flashes recorded 16 shots, with five on goal; the Bobcats totaled 11 shots, with one on goal.

“Once we got a hold of the ball, we were able to counterattack,” Marinaro said. “Give credit to Alisa for coming up with a huge goal.”

On the season, Arthur leads the team in shots (24) and shots on goal (12); her two goals are tied for the most.

Amanda Winquist (right) tries for a goal beside Cait Mackey (left) at Kent State’s senior day matchup against Duquesne Sep. 10, 2023. (Janson McNair)

Kent State’s defense also played a great game to grab a clean sheet. Standout graduate student goalkeeper Sarah Melén only needed to make one save in the game.

Melén is ranked third in the MAC with 30 saves.

The Flashes defense conceded six corners in the game but defended each one.

“We took a lot of pressure…fortunately, they just couldn’t break us,” Marinaro said. “Sarah came up with a huge save, and our defense really stepped up.”

Arthur scored her goal off an assist from junior midfielder Siena Stambolich in the ninth minute.

This was Stambolich’s second assist of the season.

Next up, the Flashes will return to Dix Stadium for a rivalry matchup against Akron. 

Over the last eight matchups, the Zips have scored one goal – KSU has scored 14.

The game will be played Sunday at 1 p.m. 

“Come home and defend the house; we are gonna need a huge performance because they are gonna be coming after us,” Marinaro said. “We are confident that if people come in, we will give them a game.”

Matthew Franos is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected]