Haymaker Farmers’ Market expands access to Kent State campus this fall

Art that doubles as a sign for Haymaker Farmers’ Market Website.

Haymaker Farmers’ Market and Kent State are partnering to bring fresh food to the campus. About 20 vendors will be located at the Risman Plaza Student Green Sept. 21 and Oct. 12 from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.

“The mission of this event is to provide students with opportunities to learn about the local farming community, select fresh produce, and connect with the broader Kent community,” said Kim Rufra, associate dean of students and director of recreation and wellness services, in a Kent State press release.

Local producers will sell healthy items that appeal to a range of people. Some of the items include produce, meat, honey, maple, bread, cookies, plants, mushrooms and vegan ice cream sandwiches. 

“Food is pretty foundational for everyone,” said Andrew Rome, the market manager of Haymaker Farmers’ Market. “It’s a great opportunity to be integrated into the university.”

The weekly Saturday morning market sets up under the Haymaker overpass on Franklin Avenue with local vendors selling produce, including tomatoes and cucumbers. Now, Kent State students and faculty members can visit the market without leaving campus.

“We’re looking to appeal to students, faculty and staff,” Rome said. “[But] everyone is welcome to come. It’s not exclusive to Kent State.”

Cooking demonstrations will also be held during both market days. 

Rome said his vision is to have the university buy locally grown produce from vendors these days to add into the university’s dining services ingredients, but not stop there.

“Wouldn’t it be wonderful if dining services had purchasing agreements with local vendors,” he said. “Crop planning with Kent State University would be a great way to support local agriculture.”

Haymakers Farmers’ Market will return to Kent State’s campus spring of 2022 on March 22 and April 26.

Kelly Krabill is an assigning editor. Contact her at [email protected]