THIS OR THAT: Mascot battle: Making Kent’s ‘unofficial’ spokesanimal the real thing

Anthony Scilla
Near Franklin Hall, two black squirrels hang off the sides of a tree on Sunday Jan. 8th, 2022.

This opinion was written by Matthew Brown, Savana Capp, Grace Clarke, Kelsie Horner, Taina Rivera, Isabella Schreck, Audrey Trevarthan, Anneliese White and Emily Yanchak from KentWired’s editorial board. After reading this article and its companion article, be sure to vote in the poll below so we can settle this debate once and for all. 

As you walk across campus, do you often see a golden flash walking around? Never, what even is that? 

But do you see an abundance of real, cute, fluffy black squirrels? Yes, they’re everywhere. 

Instead of our current Flash the Golden Eagle, we believe Kent State’s mascot should be a female black squirrel still named Flash. 

Our golden flash mascot does not properly represent Kent State University because Kent is known for having an abundance of black squirrels – not golden eagles. Black squirrels are extremely rare, and we should capitalize on the opportunity to stand out as a college with a mascot as unique as our campus and community are.  

The story of how black squirrels were introduced to campus is integral enough to our history that we teach it to incoming freshmen. Wouldn’t it make sense then for something that important to be our mascot?

The black squirrel is already known as the unofficial mascot of Kent State. Changing the official mascot would not be as drastic as golden eagle supporters might think. The initial switch has the opportunity to be incredibly lucrative for Kent State.

Mascots are imperative for marketing and PR opportunities. The black squirrel is already featured on various pieces of merchandise at stores in Kent and used on handouts and KSU marketing material. There is even a huge plush black squirrel in the bookstore. 

By keeping the mascot’s name as Flash, we are honoring the history of our campus. Kent State adopted the Flashes name in 1926, and throughout our history, we have had many other mascots to go along with the name.

Flash the Eagle is really some anthropomorphic weird-looking chicken, in our humble opinions. Also, Flash has teeth, and real birds don’t. 

Seeing those cute squirrels running up trees, throwing acorns – and even eating bagels out of the trash – really embodies the Kent State spirit. 

Additionally, it is very important our new mascot is female. There are only 16 female mascots out of the 128 teams in FBS football. We hate to say it, but the school down the road does it better than us in this category with their mascot Zippy. Women need more representation in sports – on the field and on the sidelines. 

While we know a squirrel is obviously the better option for our mascot, we understand most people are afraid of change. It may be an overwhelming idea to completely change our mascot, but it can be a slow transition, easing the bird out of power and turning representation over to our black squirrel. 

An eagle may seem more fierce for our sports teams. However, have you seen “Over the Hedge?” Squirrels are fierce in their own way. 

Black squirrels bring all of our community together already, so let’s make it official. 

This poll has ended.

THIS OR THAT: Who is the better Kent State mascot?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Matthew Brown, Savana Capp, Grace Clarke, Kelsie Horner, Taina Rivera, Isabella Schreck, Audrey Trevarthan, Anneliese White and Emily Yanchak contributed to this editorial. Contact the editorial team at [email protected].

View Comments (2)