Students share concerns on messages from TikTok campus preacher ‘Sister Cindy’

Matthew Brown
Campus preacher Cindy Smock speaks to a gathered crowd at Kent States Risman Plaza on Sept. 26, 2023.

Editor’s note: This article contains language readers may find offensive. 

While calling women ‘sluts’ and reading from a Bible plastered with the words “HO NO MO,” Cindy Smock, a campus preacher known as Sister Cindy on TikTok, drew large crowds to Risman Plaza Monday and Tuesday afternoon. 

Smock has gained over 426.3k followers on TikTok and thousands of followers on her other platforms for using vulgar and derogatory language to preach against feminism and premarital sex “in the name of God.” She gained attention for her mantra “HO NO MO,” a phrase she yells during sermons and prints on merchandise.

The trip to Kent State was part of Smock’s ‘HO NO MO’ national college-campus tour.

“I’m the leader of the ‘Ho No Mo’ revolution,” Smock said. “I’m a Bible-believing Christian, and I’m here to share the gospel of Jesus Christ and call students to repentance and faith in Jesus. If they’re just here for a laugh, they’ll get that. But if they want the truth, they’ll get the truth too.”

When passing by Smock while walking on campus, senior fashion merchandising major Mackenzie Karsten said she grew concerned about Smock’s rhetoric and the attention she was receiving. 

“If we keep allowing these people to speak like this about women, it’s no longer going to be this outrageous thing,” she said. “We’re going to backtrack into history. We cannot let people use those kinds of words and language around a majority of the population – it’s just not okay.”

Karsten said Smock’s rhetoric does not reflect inclusivity and equity. She noted organizations and centers, such as the Women’s Center and the LGBTQ+ Center, work to create welcoming environments for all people on campus. 

Freshman ASL interpreter major Brenna Petersen said she thought Smock hoped to get a rouse out of everyone. 

“I’m a Christian, but this is too much,” Petersen said. “You should not force this on others, I don’t believe gay is a sin, I don’t believe women need to be slaves to their husbands. She’s a terrible representation of Christians, she is not the representation of us all.”

The crowd Smock drew in heckled and interacted with her, with some people getting the signed pins printed with the term “HO NO MO” she was handing out. 

Campus preacher Cindy Smock holds up one of her custom bibles as she delivers a speech to a crowd gathered at Kent State’s Risman Plaza on Sept. 26, 2023. (Matthew Brown)

Smock spent her time on campus speaking on women’s sexual actions. Smock said she uses vulgar words like ‘slut’ because feminists use the word, too. She specifically noted the word is used in the ‘SlutWalks’ movement, a feminist movement aimed to end all aspects of rape culture, including shaming and victim blaming those who were sexually assaulted.

“Some of you ladies are here to major in oral sex,” Smock said during her speech. “Some of you don’t even have brain cells.”

Although women were a main target for her speeches, Smock had also turned the conversation towards mens’ sex habits. During one demonstration, Smock asked a man whether or not he had had sex. Smock then performed a “virginity test” on one female student, asking her about her sex life.

To counter Smock’s comments and impact, Karsten suggested people should use their voice to give positive change and action a greater platform. 

“Don’t give Sister Cindy that opportunity to promote her rhetoric and her views – promote what you want to see changed,” she said. “Post about upcoming elections, post if you’re upset about Roe v. Wade, post about registering to vote in Ohio. Actually promote advocacy that is going to make change.” 

Destiny Torres is an opinion writer. Contact her at dtorres7@kent.edu.
Isabella Schreck, editor-in-chief, contributed to this report.

View Comments (1)