LGBTQ+ Center continues its ‘Gay Agenda’ of events for fall semester

Courtesy of Meghan Schwind
The university’s LGBTQ+ Center is located in room 024 on the lower level of the Kent State Student Center.

The LGBTQ+ Center has a mission to support an inclusive environment on all KSU campuses.

“We are welcome to everyone,” Meghan Schwind, assistant director for the LGBTQ+ Center, said.

The Center advocates for all individuals and community groups based on sexual and gender identity and promotes physical, mental and academic wellness through its activities on the calendar.

The center holds gatherings and large events throughout the semester to raise awareness, promote safe space, embrace and support the LGBTQ+ community. Upcoming events are Flashes of Pride Unveiling Party, Decorate Bridge Downtown and Rainbow Run. A full schedule of plans is listed on the center’s Fall 2023 Semester Gay Agenda

The Rainbow Run 5k is the center’s next large upcoming event. It will be held on October 13 at p.m. on Risman Plaza.

General admission tickets run $25. A $5 discount is applied to students to incentivize participation. Both rates are available to purchase online on the center’s website.

The efforts are towards raising awareness and funds for the center’s “Emergency Fund.”

The “Emergency Fund” is an assurance the center provides for students who face financial challenges for identifying as part of the LGBTQ+ community. It can be used towards difficulties related to having financial support cut after a person discloses their gender or identity to family, among other similar situations. 

Students can contact the center at [email protected] for support from the Emergency fund and ask for further instructions on the application process. 

People can also volunteer to help at the checking registration table, to hand out glow items at the stations across campus and ensure participants cross streets safely during the race. 

The center also holds social groups, Safe Space Ally Training, Round Table Discussions, and other events to advocate for and include the LGBTQ+ community on campus.

Students who identify as part of the LGBTQ+ community and want to seek support, as well as students outside the community who are willing and committed to demonstrating their support, are strongly encouraged to contact or visit the LGBTQ+ Center.

Schwind explained physically coming to the office or even making a phone call can be challenging for some. So, the center offers a variety of contact options to suit whatever students find most comfortable. 

“They can call, email, stop in,” she said. “[We’re all about] just recognizing everyone’s comfortability.”

The center’s office is open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ​​in room 024 on the lower level of the Student Center. Students can also find help via email [email protected] or by phone at (330) 672-8580.

“We’re there to help [the students] get connected so that they [use] those resources,” Schwind said. “We also do round table discussions [which] really helps with bringing students together.”

Sofia Giotti-Teixeria is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].