University runs its Mental Health Campaign through October to raise further awareness

The university’s Mental Health Campaign will now run through October because of an increased demand for mental health resources. (Courtesy of Taléa Drummer-Ferrell)

Due to a noticed increase in demand for mental health services during October, the university will expand Mental Health Awareness Week. For the second consecutive year, a Mental Health Campaign featuring events and information sessions centered around mental health and well-being will run through the entire month.

The campaign, which includes a “diverse” group of over 35 advocates of faculty, staff, alumni and students, will officially launch over fall break (the university’s fall break begins Oct. 5 and goes until Oct. 8). Its kickoff event is set for Mental Health Awareness Day on Oct. 10 from 4:30-6:30 p.m. in the Student Center ballroom. 

Taléa Drummer-Ferrell, associate vice president of Student Life and Dean of Students, said holding Mental Health Awareness Month in October began to help out clinicians across all the university’s campuses.

“What we decided to do was say, ‘Continue to do your efforts, continue to do your assessments, that work is valuable, but we all have a responsibility in this,’” said Drummer-Ferrell, who leads the Advocacy, Support and Well-being pillar within Student Life. “‘Let’s have a month. Let’s have our student organizations who are doing efforts. Let’s elevate the workshops that you’re doing that many students may not be aware of. Let’s enhance our training efforts with being intentional about hosting them in the month of October. Let’s have a conversation.’”

At the kickoff event, after an opening video featuring some of the campaign’s advocates, licensed therapist Kier Gaines will share insights and answer questions attendees submitted in the event’s registration form. Gaines has over 510k followers on Instagram, where he posts about mental-health related topics.

“Our goals of this campaign and that evening are the same across the board, it is to: break the stigma, to increase health seeking behaviors and for us to educate ourselves enough so that we can refer a Flash when they’re in need,” Drummer-Ferrell said. 

The university’s Mental Health Resources and Support website lists a variety of mental health support services and well-being resources and education available for the Kent campus community, as well as the regional and Florence (study abroad location) campuses. 

University community members can attend the Mental Health Campaign kickoff event on Oct. 10, 2023. (Courtesy of Taléa Drummer-Ferrell)

The site provides information on the university’s Counseling and Psychological Services, Student Accessibility Services and university Employee Wellness, among other resources. Campaign events are also listed on the website. 

Drummer-Ferrell said focus groups with students and faculty were held to gain necessary feedback to plan the campaign. She emphasized mental health services and information are not only important for students but also for faculty and staff. 

“If our faculty and staff are not well, we cannot support you all as well as we can,” she said. “We have to be filled ourselves as we are filling others.”

In addition to upcoming programs, mental health awareness will be recognized at the Homecoming game and parade Oct. 21 and during sporting events throughout October. 

Drummer-Ferrell said she hopes the campaign will continue to make each Kent State campus a better place.  

“We want to think about how we can make this campus a better place at a very important time,” Drummer-Ferrell said, “and let everyone know that we’re all in this together and there’s hope.”

Isabella Schreck is editor-in-chief. Contact her at [email protected].