National alert test to hit all phones, TVs, radios Wednesday, university to update Flash ALERTS

Kelsie Horner

A nationwide Wireless Emergency Alert and Emergency Alert System test will alert all cell phones, televisions and radio stations at 2:20 p.m. Wednesday EST. 

Along with an audible alert, the message on cell phones will read, “THIS IS A TEST of the National Wireless Emergency Alert System. No action is needed.”

“The purpose of the Oct. 4 test is to ensure that the systems continue to be effective means of warning the public about emergencies, particularly those on the national level,” the Federal Emergency Management Agency said in a statement Aug. 3. 

The test will broadcast from cell towers for about 30 minutes long, FEMA said. 

Messages on TVs and radios will read, “This is a nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System, issued by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, covering the United States from 14:20 to 14:50 hours ET. This is only a test. No action is required by the public.” This will last for one minute. 

After receiving the alert, no action is required. 

Updates to Kent State’s Emergency Alert System

Beginning Oct. 5, Kent State’s FLASH alert system will be updated, adding notification preference options for all campuses. People were notified of changes through email Tuesday. 

Anyone who has provided the university with a domestic cell phone number will be added to the emergency communication system, which sends out text messages related to campus safety issues and weather alerts, among other topics. 

A text message was sent to those subscribed to FLASH alerts Tuesday. (Kelsie Horner)

Also beginning Thursday, people can choose which campus’ notifications they would prefer to receive from the alert system. If a person does not edit their preferences, they will receive alerts from all campuses. 

All users will need to re-register additional phone numbers they would like to receive alerts starting Oct. 5.

Kelsie Horner is digital content director. Contact her at [email protected]

View Comments (1)