Flashes Fighting Hunger works to feed Kent community

Pantry manager Abby Fife (left) and kitchen manager Lila Ferry (right).

Flashes Fighting Hunger is a volunteer organization run by students to promote food security. 

The organization started in 2011 when students started making hot meals to give out to organizations. It has grown into a food pantry that operates twice weekly to both hand out meals to students and impact the community. 

Student volunteers run the pantry and operate in the Tri-Towers Rotunda on Wednesdays and Fridays 3-6 p.m. 

The organization has partnerships with Akron Food Bank and Trader Joes and takes individual donations from students and student groups. 

Flashes Fighting Hunger also attends the Haymaker Farmers’ Market, and provides food to the Kent State CARES Center. 

The group also works with the Mighty Pack Program, which provides Portage County kids meals when they are not receiving school lunches. 

Senior AmeriCorps member Kalena Speicher wants to increase the number of students coming to the pantry. 

Speicher helps aid the pantry, works on its social media and plans its events. 

“I want to lessen the stigma about food insecurity and want students to know that it is ok to ask for help.”she says. 

Speicher wants to grow the number of student volunteers, accept more donations and increase awareness about the organization on campus. 

Senior Abby Fife has a passion for volunteering. Fife started with Flashes Fighting Hunger to get involved on campus, but it has quickly become a considerable part of her life. 

Fife is the pantry manager overseeing the pantries and the other volunteers. She also wants her fellow students to know that Flashes Fighting Hunger is there for them as well as free and easy to use. 

“The majority of students have a hard time buying food,” she says. “But it is so important for students to be eating healthy.” 

Flashes Fighting Hunger will host social events monthly for students to learn about the organization. These events will be focused on community outreach and are open for anyone interested. 

The information for these monthly events will be posted on KSU Engage and the Flashes Fighting Hunger Instagram account. Interested in volunteering? Check out the Flashes Fighting Hunger website to learn more.

Chloe Harich is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].