Football looks to get back on track away from home

Kait Murray
Quarterback Redshirt Junior, Michael Alaimo, runs the ball against the Miami University defense on Sept. 30, 2023.

Kent State football will travel to Athens on Saturday to play Ohio University, hoping to get back into winning ways after dropping the team’s last two games.

The Flashes lost their first Mid-American Conference matchup last week against Miami University (OH) 23-3.

The KSU offense has scored 10 or more points twice out of five games this season.

“It was a good game, but obviously we didn’t get the result we wanted,” coach Kenni Burns said. “I was really encouraged by some of the things that happened in that game. This is going to be a year where we just have to consistently get obsessed with the process and growing. I think we’re right on track with where we should be from a growing standpoint.”

Kent State fell into a tie for last place with Akron in the MAC East Division following the loss to Miami. The team has a 1-4 overall record and an 0-1 record in conference play.

OU will look to expand its four-game winning streak this week.

The Bobcats defeated Bowling Green 38-7 last week, improving its record to 4-1 overall with a 1-0 record against conference opponents.

The team is in a tie for first place in the MAC East with Miami.

“We have a good challenge this week, but we’re excited for it, and I know our guys are ready to get back out there and play,” Burns said.

Player matchups

Quarterback

Graduate student Kurtis Rourke will play his 30th game for the Bobcats on Saturday.

• 2022 MAC offensive player of the year, Vern Smith leadership award winner, 2022 First Team All-MAC, Academic All-MAC, and Second Team Academic All-America
  • Last week at Bowling Green: 14-16, 196 passing yards, three touchdowns, four rushing attempts, 33 rushing yards
  • Season Stats: 56-87, 609 passing yards, five touchdowns, two interceptions

Redshirt junior Mike Alaimo will get the start after recording a career-high in completions in the game against Miami.

• Last week vs. Miami: 18-30, 170 passing yards
  • Season Stats: 61-109, 763 passing yards, one touchdown, three interceptions
  • Burns: “We have to do better with the deep ball. He’s starting to get in a groove with a couple of guys. We’re getting better, but we’re starting to pinpoint where we need to focus on as an offense and with the quarterback.”

Running back

Redshirt sophomore Sieh Bangura will be assisting Rourke in the backfield.

• 2022 MAC Freshman of the Year and Third Team All-MAC
  • Last week at BG: nine rushing attempts, 26 yards, two receptions, 31 yards, one receiving touchdown
  • Season Stats: 74 rushing attempts, 287 yards, 3.9 yards/carry average, eight receptions, 65 yards, one receiving touchdown

Sophomore Gavin Garcia remains the go-to guy for the Flashes’ running game.

• Leads team in carries, rushing yards, and rushing touchdowns
  • Last week vs. Miami: 17 rushing attempts, 49 rushing yards
  • Season Stats: 87 rushing attempts, 337 rushing yards, 3.9 yards/carry average, two touchdowns

Receivers

Burns highlighted graduate student wide receiver Sam Wiglusz as a key member of the Bobcat offense.

• 2022 First Team All-MAC and Second Team Academic All-America
  • Leads team in receptions and receiving yards
  • Last week at BG: two receptions, 26 receiving yards
  • Season Stats: 21 receptions, 204 receiving yards, one touchdown

Redshirt freshman Chrishon McCray has become Alaimo’s best receiver after catching a career-high 105 receiving yards last week vs. Miami.

• Last week vs. Miami: 10 receptions, 105 receiving yards, one rushing attempt, 11 rushing yards
  • Season Stats: 19 receptions (leads team), 234 receiving yards (leads team)

Defense

The OU defense will be led by graduate student linebacker Bryce Houston

• 2022 Team Captain and Academic All-MAC
  • Tied for 16th in the nation in total tackles
  • Last week at BG: six total tackles, one tackle for loss, one forced fumble
  • Season Stats: 49 total tackles, six tackles for loss, one sack, one forced fumble, one interception
  • Burns: “Defensively, they’re really sound. They don’t beat themselves, they tackle well, they get to the ball – they’re a good team. That’s why they were a team picked to win the MAC.”

Redshirt senior linebacker Devin Nicholson will lead the defense, a unit that allows 34 points per game.

• Last week vs. Miami: six total tackles
  • Season Stats: 35 total tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, one pass breakup

How do they stack up?

Kickoff will be at 3:30 p.m. Saturday at Peden Stadium in Athens.

Burns said the “guys are getting it” despite the recent losses.

“They have to play together more and more,” he said. “You can practice all you want, but until you’re in a live situation with defenses adjusting and doing different things and you have to react to it, it doesn’t work until you get those live reps. They’re getting those now, and we’ll keep getting better, I have no doubt, but we’re still a long way away.”

John Hilber is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].