Make Campus Great Again begins national tour in Akron, Ohio

Donald Trump’s 2020 re-election campaign kicked off the youth engagement program, Make Campus Great Again, Monday night at the University of Akron. 

More than 50 students from the surrounding schools gathered to show support for Trump and receive training on registering voters for the 2020 election. 

Cecilia Martin, communications director of the Kent State College Republicans, and other members of the chapter attended the event to show their support. 

“The Kent State College Republicans and all of the Ohio College Republicans have this really great track record of working hard to get really good Republicans elected,” Martin said. “We’re really excited to do that this time around and get President Trump re-elected.”  

The initiative is aimed to increase voter registration and campaign involvement among college students who support President Trump. 

In the wake of these events, the College Democrats of Ohio (CDO) issued a statement saying the president is “not welcome in the state of Ohio.” 

“This event will have an effect on Kent State, we’re so close to Akron, and the things that happen there do affect us,” Laura Keller, vice president of the College Democrats, said. 

The Kent Chapter of the College Dems said it stands with the CDO and does not welcome Trump on Kent’s campus, Keller said. 

Make Campus Great Again events will be held nationwide as the country prepares for the 2020 election season. The Trump campaign and the Republican National Convention do not have a schedule of events at the moment for other states.

Contact Katie Thompson at [email protected].