Letter to the Editor: Banning books counteracts our freedom of speech

The+Giver%2C+a+novel+by+Lois+Lowry%2C+is+featured+on+several+banned+or+challenged+book+lists.+
Isabella Schreck
“The Giver,” a novel by Lois Lowry, is featured on several banned or challenged book lists.

In today’s world, book banning has become a commonplace occurrence due to a misguided fear and dislike of otherness and discomfort.

Books discussing the ideas of gender identity, sexual orientation, race and more have been put under siege because they invoke critical thinking and cause questioning of systems in our society. Now more than ever, guaranteeing that the freedom of expression in books is safeguarded is extremely important to ensure that diverse voices and perspectives are amplified.

Throughout history, book bans have been used to consolidate political power and control the spread of ideas and information. When the Nazis held power in Germany, they held book burnings where they incinerated thousands of books they deemed to be against their ideology.

By banning books, we are disregarding the fact that books are meant to make us think and grow.

When we encounter ideas that we do not agree with, we are not supposed to shut down, we are meant to think critically about what we are being told. Moreover, books have historically been a powerful tool for social progress and justice. They have been instrumental in challenging oppressive systems, advocating for civil rights, and sparking movements for change.

“The Diary of Anne Frank” is one book that I immediately think of. It has impacted society by shedding light on the horrors of the Holocaust. By learning about history’s darkest periods, we can prevent them from reoccurring, and literature helps us do just that.

Books are our solace and our place to grow. As students we spend the majority of our time here reading books for classes with the hope they make us see the world in an entirely new and different light. As the Italian poet Dante Alighieri wrote, “We were not meant to be brute but to pursue virtue and knowledge.”

What better way to do this than read books?

Freedom of speech is a fundamental pillar of our society that allows ideas to flourish, knowledge to spread, and voices to be heard. Books serve as vehicles for diverse perspectives, offering readers the opportunity to explore different viewpoints, cultures, and experiences.

Censorship can restrict the free exchange of ideas, which is dangerous to our First Amendment rights. Especially in our schools and universities, it is essential to foster an environment where diverse opinions can coexist, allowing for the potential for mutual understanding.

Reading is not just an act of acquiring knowledge; it is an act of self-discovery and personal growth. Any book is important. It does not have to be something widely inspirational; it can make you happy for the time and that is enough.

Literature is a catalyst for social progress, and an essential tool for personal growth and understanding.

Let us protect this right, ensuring that the pages of our books remain open to the diverse voices and ideas that enrich our world.

Thank you.

Jessie Starkey is the director of governmental affairs for Kent State University’s Undergraduate Student Government. Contact her at [email protected]