The independent news website of The Kent Stater & TV2


The independent news website of The Kent Stater & TV2


The independent news website of The Kent Stater & TV2


Follow KentWired on Instagram
Today’s Events

11th annual Bra Recycling Drive takes place during Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Audrey Trevarthan
A bra drop-off bin is located at The Williamson House on campus.

It’s time for a closet clean-out.

In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, people can donate gently used and new bras until Oct. 27 through the Bra Recycling Drive. 

“The drive collects gently used and new bras to donate,” said Hannah Toth, a writing assistant at the Women’s Center. “Really worn-out bras are also accepted and sent to get recycled so they don’t end up in a landfill.” 

Bras can be dropped off at donation bins located in The Williamson House, the M.A.C. Center, Student Recreation and Wellness Center, Satterfield Hall, Heer Hall, or through the mail. 

The bra drive is hosted by the Women’s Center, the university’s athletic department, the Division of Human Resources Employee Wellness and Health Promotion, the Office of Sustainability and Kent State of Well-being. 

Bras in good condition are donated to The Phyllis Zumkehr County Clothing Center. 

“We provide free, gently-used clothing and other personal and household items to families and individuals in need—all while reducing waste within the community and providing a positive experience for volunteers, according to the center’s website.”

“The goal of the bra drive is to decrease the amount of textile waste that ends up in landfills,” Toth said. 

Since the start of the annual drive, over 1,000 bras have been collected, according to the sustainability page on the Kent State website. 75% has gone to the clothing center, and the other 25% has been sent to be recycled. 

Audrey Trevarthan is a digital content assistant. Contact her at [email protected].

Leave a Comment
More to Discover
About the Contributor
Audrey Trevarthan, Campus Editor
Audrey is a junior journalism student with a passion for opinion writing and digital content. Contact her at [email protected]

Comments (0)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *