Soccer avenges road loss in dominating home win

Matthew Brown
The Kent State soccer team celebrates after junior Alisa Arthur scores the first goal of the game against CMU on Oct. 8, 2023. The Golden Flashes went on to win the game 3-1.

Last Thursday, the Kent State soccer team fell to Ball State (6-5-2, 4-0-2) in a rain-soaked contest 3-1. 

The Flashes conceded two goals in the first half and could not recover from the deficit. 

In the 66th minute, the

Kent State senior Callie Cunningham leaps over CMU redshirt junior Allison LaPoint’s slide tackle as she pushes for the goal during the game against CMU on Oct. 8, 2023. (Matthew Brown)

Flashes showed signs of a possible comeback as junior forward Alisa Arthur dissected the Ball State defense for an unassisted goal.

Kent State maintained an aggressive attack after the Arthur goal as they outshot Ball State 14-10 and had more shots on goal with nine compared to the Cardinals four. 

Ball State capitalized on their four shots on goal by adding a third goal in the 86th minute to end Kent State’s comeback bid. 

Following the loss, the Flashes returned to Dix Stadium on Sunday and put together a dominating performance to beat Central Michigan (2-5-4, 1-4-1) 3-1. 

Both teams defended well for the first 30 minutes, but Arthur and the Flashes offense took control in the 38 minute.

Arthur scored a free kick from just outside the penalty box to score her fifth goal on the season – most for KSU. 

Arthur’s 13 points this season are the best on the Flashes and sixth in the Mid-American Conference. 

Kent State continued to attack in the second half behind a trio of freshmen. In the 58th minute, freshman midfielder Alanna Raimondo found freshman forward Emma Barnett, who put away the finish. 

The goal was the first of Barnett’s collegiate career, increasing Kent State’s lead to 2-0.

Kent State junior Siena Stambolich passes the ball upfield during the game against CMU on Oct. 8, 2023. (Matthew Brown)

With 13 minutes remaining, the Flashes earned a penalty kick where freshman forward Josie Morgan received the call. 

Morgan scored the goal to put the game away and score her fourth goal of the year.

The Chippewas scored in the 85th minute, making the score 3-1. 

Kent State is now 7-4-2 on the year with a 4-2 conference record that places them fourth in the MAC standings. 

The Flashes will face conference leader Bowling Green on the road on Thursday at 7 p.m. 

Kent State will be tested by the Falcons as they are 5-0-1 in the conference and are on a four-game winning streak. 

The Flashes were 0-7

against Bowling Green from 2017 until last year when Kent State beat the Falcons at home 1-0. 

Matthew Franos is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected]