University celebrates National Coming Out Day on campus

Adrianna Quinlan
A table with colorful cookies and resource fliers were set up for National Coming Out Day on Oct. 11, 2023.

As part of Rainbow Week at the university, students and staff celebrated National Coming Out Day Oct. 11. Events throughout the day included a social hosted by the Honors College and a poster reveal party hosted by the LGBTQ+ Center. 

National Coming Out Day originated in California in 1988. At first, the celebration was only regional, but now it is recognized and celebrated by all 50 states and seven countries. 

The Honors College hosted the first event of the day, as students walking by were able to grab a cookie and find different LGBTQ+ resources posted on fliers with people generating conversation with attendees.

Haleigh Rush, a secretary in the Honors College, organized the event in an effort to  create a sense of community and show positive support toward students. 

“There are so many voices saying not to celebrate,” Rush said. “I think it’s important to show that there are still voices out there that support you and say that you are welcome.” 

Prior to the event, honors students that have gone through the coming out process were asked to write words of encouragement and advice to other students. These words of wisdom were displayed on a TV screen at the event. 

“It is important to have visibility,” Rush said. “Especially being a college, we want to be supportive, welcoming, and affirming here for our LGBTQ students.” 

Following the Honors College event, the LGBTQ+ Center hosted its Flashes of Pride Poster Unveiling Party. 

Attendees gather for National Coming Out Day on Oct. 11, 2023. (Adrianna Quinlan)

At the event, the center revealed its new 2023 Flashes of Pride poster, and students on the poster talked about the importance of being featured. This is the eighth year the center has made the poster. 

Attendees enjoyed refreshments and rainbow cookies, marveled at the new poster and socialized with each other. Many staff and students entered the room and were met with enthusiastic faces saying “Happy Coming Out Day!” 

When looking at the new poster, students smiled when they recognized a friend or saw their own face. Erin Dingler, a sophomore psychology major, was one of the enthusiastic students who was included on the poster.

“I think the poster symbolizes a good environment here at Kent,” Dingler said. “It’s a very open and supportive environment and I think it promotes how inclusive the campus is.” 

Jehlani White, a public health graduate student, was another individual included on the poster. White enjoyed the event because it allowed him to celebrate those before him, the community and himself during LGBTQ+ History Month. 

“I know how scary it is to ‘come out,’” White said. “I recognize the privilege and the bravery it takes to not only walk in your truth but to feel safe while doing so.”

For Jordan Gallegos, a senior history and Spanish double major, being on the poster was a full circle moment, she said.

“I think for me it was nice to put myself out there,” Gallegos said. “My freshman year I was living off campus and I never would have done this in a million years, so it was nice to see that I really am such a different person and in a more secure place with who I am.” 

Gallegos is involved with other entities including Kent Hillel and The Newman Center and finds it important to bring their identity into those environments. 

Mandolin Arnett, a senior fashion merchandising major, also related the poster to other student identities on campus. To Arnett, the poster ties into being editor-in-chief of Fusion magazine, the student-run LGBTQ+ magazine that serves the Kent State community. 

“As somebody who knows that there are people that aren’t out yet on campus,” Arnett said, “they might see the poster and be really encouraged and feel safe to come out. I think representation matters.” 

Arnett said they have wanted to be on the poster since 2021. 

The event was a great space for students to talk about the importance of the poster and to celebrate National Coming Out Day during Rainbow week, Arnett said. 

White said he hopes people feel more supported.

“I hope it will inspire people to want to be a part of this or show those who aren’t out, that it will be okay and that it’s going to be okay,” White said. “There is a community of people here with you, whether you know them personally or not.”

Adrianna Quinlan is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].