Alumnus directs a new movie with premiere coming to campus

The premiere of “October Roses” is coming to campus on Oct. 13, 2023. (Courtesy of Jasmine Pennino)

The university’s Division of Philanthropy and Alumni Engagement will hold a reception, movie premiere and panel discussion for the alumni-created film “October Roses” on Oct. 13 in the KIVA Auditorium.

Jasmine Pennino, the events manager for the Division of Philanthropy and Alumni Engagement, said she was inspired to organize the event because of the number of alumni and, at the time of production, current students taking part in the creation of the short film. 

Another aspect that encouraged Pennino to organize the event was the ability to showcase the College of Communication and Information, which has not been highlighted in many events, she said. 

“We want our alumni to come back and feel connected to the university and have a good time,” Pennino said. “We also want to showcase what our current students are doing as well as the alumni and what they’re doing.”

Brandon Lazenko, director of the short film and alumnus, and Shelby Wyant, producer of the short film, received the rights to Stephen King’s short story “Nona,” which the short film is inspired by. Through the Dollar Baby program was another appeal to hosting an event for the film, Pennino said.

“The fact that he was able to accomplish getting the rights to a short story from a very big name in the horror culture, you know, Stephen King,” Pennino said. “That’s huge and that’s something to be very proud of. Definitely wanting to showcase that highlight how our alumni are very successful.”

The aid Lazenko and Wyant received from Robert Kurtzman and Marcy King, who are both executive producers of the film, makeup and makeup effects departments head for the film, made the film more appealing, Pennino said.

Marcy King said she and Kurtzman were interested in taking part in the creation of the film because of the opportunity to help younger filmmakers.

“Because [Kurtzman] had the same mentorships when he went to L.A. at 19 years old, he went to shops and studios here and there, and effects artists shared their craft with him,” Marcy King said. “He learned from other people and has always been appreciative of that.”

Lazenko and Kurtzman were able to develop a bond during the filming as Kurtzman had previously worked as a director and was able to help Lazenko, Marcy King said.

With the names of Stephen King and Kurtzman attached to the project, Pennino is anticipating a large crowd.

“For our reception, before the movie premiere, we have about 150 people coming, that also includes the cast and crew,” Pennino said.

Pennino said the event had different ticket types: 

• tickets for the movie premiere 
  • tickets for the premiere, reception and discussion panel
  • tickets to virtually attend the premiere and discussion panel, 

Pennino said about 275 people will be in attendance, including the 150 from the reception.

Virtual tickets will be available until an hour before the reception, and Pennino is currently anticipating 240 people to obtain a virtual ticket.

“That virtual ticket option is open until five o’clock the day of… so we can still get more people from now until then,” Pennino said.

After watching the film, King said she hopes viewers understand the psychological aspects of the film and think about what it is trying to convey.

“It’s going to make people think, ‘What did I watch, what was really happening,’” she said. “You’re not really sure what the reality of it is and then you what to look back… I think the take away is going to be, ‘Oh my gosh I get it.’”

Given the circumstances of how Lazenko was able to work with Marcy King and Kurtzman, King said the biggest takeaway from the creation of the film is for people to not be afraid to ask for things.

“I think the biggest takeaway on this is…don’t ever stop asking, always ask, you don’t know,” she said. “[Brandon] made this phone cold call and look at the craziness that came out of it, it’s amazing.”

Adriana Gasiewski is a staff reporter. Contact her at [email protected].