FAB kicks off Homecoming week festivities with FlashBash

A long line stretched throughout the entire second floor of the Student Center Tuesday evening, with eager students waiting for the Flash Activities Board’s FlashBash that featured food and activities for all those in attendance. 

Of those waiting, the first 150 people got a free baseball cap while the first 250 got a free bobblehead of Flash. 

Students that arrived early were gifted their own Flash Bobblehead at FlashBash on Oct. 17, 2023. (Cadie Pierce)

Katie Moore, a sophomore international relations major, talked about how the activities drew her to attend.

“It sounded like a fun activity to do with my friends,” Moore said. “They had pottery involved and I like painting.” 

FAB had a variety of pottery to offer with students being able to paint vases, coasters and jewelry holders. 

In addition to the hands-on activities, students lined up for the food offered, which included an extensive mashed potato and mac ‘n cheese bar with toppings for both. Students could also find Flash shaped cookies. 

The 2023 Homecoming court was there to encourage students to vote for them. 

Jaelyn Brown, the College of Communication Studies nominee and senior communication studies major, talked about the process of getting onto homecoming court. 

“You have to have a certain amount of credits or a senior standing and a department sponsor with a nomination letter,” Brown said. “There were well over 30 applicants this year and they beat it down to a final 12.” 

The homecoming court is required to do a service project each year, Brown said. 

“Our Homecoming court service project is a book drive,” Brown said. “If you go to the information desk [in the student center] or the second floor leadership suite, we have boxes where you can donate gently used books.” 

Students gather food from the mashed potatoes bar at FlashBash on Oct. 17, 2023. (Cadie Pierce)

Items such as coloring books, textbooks and children’s books are accepted with all donations going to the King Kennedy Community Center where they work toward uplifting residents in the McElrath Park area of Ravenna, Brown said. 

Students enjoyed the food, music and interactive activities throughout the night to kickoff Homecoming week. Brown encouraged students to get involved with Homecoming court in the future. 

“It’s great, anyone can do it,” Brown said. 

Andrew Bowie is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected]