Sex Week rounds up with ‘Sextoberfest’ Friday

Kent Interhall Council’s annual Sex Week will conclude Friday with a night of games and prizes at “Sextoberfest.” 

The event will run at 7 p.m. in the Student Center Ballroom and will feature tables from four organizations as well as game stations and sex toy giveaways. 

Students can also get this year’s sex week t-shirt by volunteering or visiting all 15 stations at Sextoberfest.

Sex week is all about sex education, KIC director of programming Josh Outman said. 

“It’s important because not everyone gets that education through their education, people don’t necessarily know how to have safe sex,” he said. “It’s a safe space to ask those kinds of questions and get the clarification – and also have fun.” 

On top of learning about safe sex, Sex Week programming also encourages learning about sexuality, consent and allyship, Outman said. 

This year’s Sex Week has a “wild west” cowboy theme. 

“I love how innuendo it can be,” Outman said. “It’ll be a little cheeky here and there.”

The four organizations tabling at the event include National Residence Hall Honorary, Kent State Unite for Reproductive and Gender Equity, KentWired and College Blog: Girls Guide to Bad Sex. The other stations will have various sex-themed games staffed by volunteers and the interhall councils across campus. 

The event’s giveaways will run as raffles. Tickets will be drawn at the end of the event, and students must be present at the time of the drawing to claim their prize. 

Getting the residence hall councils from across campus together to plan an event is another benefit of Sex Week, Outman said.

“It’s important for the hall councils to put on a booth, collaborate and program,” he said. 

With the record number of freshmen on campus, Outman expects a good turnout for the event.

“Last year was a big crowd, and I expect this year’s crowd to be even bigger,” he said.

Grace Springer is managing editor. Contact her at [email protected]