‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’ contestant LaLa Ri headlines Sex Week drag show

Kaitlyn Mitchell
LaLa Ri performs to Beyonce’s “All Night” at Sex Week drag show.

Editor’s note: Two paragraphs in this story were edited due to reporting errors. 

In a glimmering green dress and a waist-length, bright red wing, former “RuPaul’s Drag Race” competitor LaLa Ri took to the Student Center Ballroom stage Wednesday night for Sex Week’s annual drag show. 

Ri, a drag queen who competed on season 13 of “RuPaul’s Drag Race” and season eight of “RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars,” performed Beyoncé’s “All Night” and Cardi B’s “Bodak Yellow.” 

“Thank you all, this means so much to a Black b**** from the South,” Ri said. “Show Kent State and KIC some praise, y’all. They hosted this whole Sex Week for y’all – show them some love.” 

The audience was full of cheers and laughter as Ri and the seven other drag queens performing did their numbers and interacted with the crowd. 

The host for the evening was Kent drag queen and junior student Frutisha Punch. Punch has been performing at the drag show for three years and co-hosted last year with popular drag queen CoCo Montrese. 

Punch kept the audience entertained during the three-hour duration of the show, cracking jokes and teasing the other drag queens. 

“My favorite part of performing is being funny,” Punch said. “I like to make people laugh. Comedy is kind of the root of my drag and I like to bring it every time.” 

The drag show has historically been one of the most popular events at Sex Week, and this year did not disappoint, Punch said. The first two people to stand in line for the 7 p.m. show arrived at 1:30 p.m. and once the doors opened the ballroom was quickly filled.

“The drag show is our most popular event, that one’s pretty big,” said Jazae Smith, president of KIC. “It’s always maxed out. This year will be my very first drag show, I’m very excited.” 

Wednesday night was the first time that a drag king has performed in the drag show. The drag king, known as Himbo Zolansky, performed a seasonally appropriate number inspired by the movie “Scream,” featuring songs like “Monster Mash” and “Calling All The Monsters.” 

The other performances of the night ranged from Britney Spears’ “Womanizer” to Dolly Parton’s “9 to 5.” Despite the stark difference in performances, each drag queen showed off their elaborate dance moves, and kept the crowd cheering for the entire duration of the show. 

Freshman students Samantha Feldhake and Kadence Hetsler had never been to a drag show before, and praised the show for its constant high energy.

“I just loved the energy,” Hetsler said. “It was all just very energetic and everyone looked like they were having fun.”

Feldhake shared a similar sentiment.

“My favorite part was the dancing and costumes and everything,” Feldhake said. “I liked the energy and vibes of the show.” 

The lively environment of the show is also a favorite of drag queen Comatose Why-Wintour, a second year performer at the Sex Week drag show.

“My favorite part of performing is everything,” Why-Wintour said. “The feeling you get when you’re backstage waiting for your number, about to go on, there’s no better feeling. It’s the most anxious I’ve ever been but it’s just electric, it’s crazy.” 

In the wake of the intricate performances and daring costumes, Why-Wintour and Punch broached more serious topics.

“I think people need to know more about the history of drag,” Why-Wintour said. “ I think it’s important for people who want to try or watch drag to learn about the people who gave us our rights so we’re allowed to do this today.” 

Punch’s thoughts were straightforward.

“Drag is not a crime,” Punch said. “With the climate of the world right now, some people are treating us like criminals and we have done nothing wrong. We are only bringing art to the world.” 

Kaitlyn Mitchell is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].