A peek behind the scenes of the costume design program

The+Center+of+Performing+Arts+is+located+at+1325+Theatre+Drive+on+campus.+
Sara House
The Center of Performing Arts is located at 1325 Theatre Drive on campus.

As students begin scheduling classes for the spring semester, they could consider taking a course that combines two worlds: fashion and theater. 

Kent State’s Costume Design Program takes a technical approach to creating pieces for characters in plays and other productions, said Assistant Professor Michelle Souza. 

“We begin the class talking about the principles of design, shape and line, then we dive right in,” she said. “We’ll learn about proper research for characters and how the research can help guide your design choices.”

Kent State offers multiple fashion courses, but Costume Design differs as it delves into the characterization of the costumes along with the technical fashion instructions. 

“For a costume designer it’s important to not only know about clothes,” Souza said. “They need to know about script analysis, how to read plays and how to find out information about characters.”

Souza described theater as a collaborative industry. Costume designers work with directors, set designers and actors to ensure a production is ready for opening night. Even though a costume designer is trying to emulate and interpret the appearance of a character, a designer is still able to incorporate their individuality into the pieces, Souza said. 

“The projects that stand out are the ones that are thoughtfully researched and executed with attention to [the] requirements of the play but still have a little bit of personal creativity,” she said. “I don’t think costumes need to be showstoppers in order to be successful designs.” 

Abigail Kinney is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].